Engine rebuilt cost

steve78

Established Member
I was just wondering what a ball park price would be to rebuild a stock 03 Mach 1 engine. Right now it has a Vortech V-2 with the intercooler and puts down 430 rwhp 400 rwtq with 11 pounds of boost. I want to build the engine for 600 rwhp so I was thinking of forged pistons, rods, and crankshaft. I know that the engine bores need to be machined but From what I understand that's all that needs to be changed for the rebuild, if there is more that needs to be done please correct me.

I normally take my car to Granatelli motorsports for all my work but they want $10,000 to rebuild it, that just seems really high to me. This will be done on an auto trans Mach 1.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
are you having the shop pull the motor and reinstall?

its going to be quite a bit more than the rebuild on a manual car due to the crank. Obviously theres a ton of variables but youre probably at 2k or more depending on crank, rod and piston choices alone. Not getting into ARP fasteners, machine work, bearings, rings, gaskets etc...doing it right would be updating basically all the timing stuff, billet pump gears if you go that route. The heads will probably need some touching up (exhaust seats, valve seals, valve job).

it gets expensive in a hurry, especially if you arent doing the removal and re-install. 10k isnt that outrageous depending on what you were quoted

steve78

Established Member
Yes the shop would do everything including pulling the motor and reinstalling. They said just pulling the motor would be $3600.
I guess that's a decent price then, now I just need to think about if its worth the money.

Saltyweasel

If you want to use quality components for the rebuild, $10,000-$11,000 would be a safe number. I went from the stock engine to a 01 Teksid block, Kellogg stroker crank, Manely H-beams, Diamond pistons, stock 4v heads rebuilt with upgraded springs/retainers, and all ARP hardware. Including the cost of parts, other stuff as well that was replaced while the engine was out (i.e. power steering pump and alternator), all the labor (machine shop included) and the dyno tune afterwards it ended up being a little over $11,000. My advice would be to not go cheap and find a shop that knows what they are doing when it comes to the 4V engines even if they charge a little more.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
3600 is quite high to just R&R a motor. @ $90 hour shop labor thats 40 hours. Im a moron at home in my garage with no lift and can beat that. I wanna say I recall seeing people saying 1200-1500 was about right

steve78

Established Member
If you want to use quality components for the rebuild, $10,000-$11,000 would be a safe number. I went from the stock engine to a 01 Teksid block, Kellogg stroker crank, Manely H-beams, Diamond pistons, stock 4v heads rebuilt with upgraded springs/retainers, and all ARP hardware. Including the cost of parts, other stuff as well that was replaced while the engine was out (i.e. power steering pump and alternator), all the labor (machine shop included) and the dyno tune afterwards it ended up being a little over $11,000. My advice would be to not go cheap and find a shop that knows what they are doing when it comes to the 4V engines even if they charge a little more.

Ya I definitely want it done right so I think I'll hold off on the engine rebuild right now since I'm still running the stock transmission and was told it can only handle around 350ish rwhp so that would probably be the best thing to do first before the rebuild. Plus I'm pretty happy with 430 rwhp at the moment, I left a 2015 Mustang gt in the dust the other day hehe.

I was going to go with the LenTech Street Terminator AODE/4R70W and a new torque converter. My mechanic said that my Mach 1 would be LOT faster with it, obviously not more HP but faster.

Users who are viewing this thread