Engine Repair Opinions

ShockTherapy

Established Member
For a small background on this truck/engine, check out this post.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php?t=127277

Here's the pics again that are in that thread of the carnage.

piston_cylinder_3.jpg

piston_top_1.jpg

head_pic_1.jpg

head_pic_3.jpg

Definitely needs a new piston and head repair, that goes without saying. The cylinder wall is not scratched up, it only has what I would call some tiny micro-pits at various areas that you can't really feel, but you can see them. Honestly I don't even know if it needs honed out. I want to get a machinist to look at it and see what they say, but we think possibly just replacing the piston, fixing the head (new valve seats/valves, bowl repair, new head gaskets), and reassembly may be an option. Any opinions?

ShockTherapy

Established Member
I forgot to add a few details about the engine. It's basically a VT shortblock (Oliver Billet Rods, Diamond pistons, standard bore), Patriot ported heads with VT turbo cams, MMR oil pump.

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
I posted what I thought the cheap way out was, but if it was me, and from seeing your old truck,I get the feeling you are a stickler for perfection and high standards. Id bore it out, and go looking for some lightweight forged pistons. Not sure where the diamonds line up, but from what I have read, weisco make a lightwieght piston, at least compared to manely.

ShockTherapy

Established Member
I saw that post. The Diamond pistons that are in it are already a lightweight forged piston, so no need to upgrade those. I was thinking about a ball hone as well, but I'm going to get an engine builder to look at it and make a recommendation as to what it will take to make it right. I definitely won't do it half-azz. Since it's already out it will be done right.

ShockTherapy

Established Member
I dropped the head off today to get fixed, looks like at minimum the intake valve is bent, and possibly the guide. Either way it's probably going to get 2 new valves and seats along with the repair, and possibly guides too.

The machinist is going to come to the shop soon and take a look at the cylinder wall and see what will be required to fix that. I'm condisering a small overbore, and getting all new pistons to up the compression a tad.

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
shock get wheels never lol. seemed like he swapped wheels bout like i swap boxers. good to see ya back in a L shock i know that sonic blue is gonna be a showstopper when u get done

Chuck Norris

Established Member
Mickey_shouse said:
shock get wheels never lol. seemed like he swapped wheels bout like i swap boxers. good to see ya back in a L shock i know that sonic blue is gonna be a showstopper when u get done

he swaps them way more often than I swap boxers.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Just from what you wrote I would say you might be able to get away with honing the surface finish out that you can see but not feel in the cylinder wall. The rings should be able to take up that small change, I'm thinking less than 0.002" if you can't feel it with your finger nail. Things are always different when you see and feel them in person though.

Users who are viewing this thread