Engine rotates, but it won't start. Pls help

04silversnake

Established Member
I know this is not a Cobra, but maybe you can help. Its a '91 gt
I washed the engine and it fire up just fine. I always remove the rotor cap to make sure it is dry, otherwise water always get in there and it start to misfire. Engine fired up ok, and let the car idleling for a few minutes, all of the sudden it shuts off. I tried to start it, and the engine rotates (battery is good), but dos not start. I think the coil is not firing since i did not see spark. What can I do to diagnose what the problem may be. I see fuel pressure in the line. Im suspecting on the distributor, but don't know haw to tested or what to look for.
Your help is appreciated.

Tank5879

Established Member
If you dont have spark, try changing the TFI module, which is the ignition module on the side of the distributor. this is a relatively infamous part that is known to just suddenly quit...

04silversnake

Established Member
is that the grey rectangular part that the cable connector goes to?
if it is, is there a way to find out if is bad, maybe measuring the resistance?

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
it wouldnt start after you washed it?
Maybe you got watter in the distributor where the stator is located or the coneector of the module.
make sure everything is dry before you start replacing parts

04silversnake

Established Member
It started after I washed it. Ran for a few minutes and then it shuts off. I am thinking that water got in the distributor and damaged either the T.F.I. or the stator. I pull the distributor and everything is dry. I dont know how to test the T.F.I. or the stator.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
do you have spark at the end of the plug wires ? if not work your way back from the end of the plug wire, start from the end of the secondary ignition and work your way back !

04silversnake

Established Member
I went today and replaced the T.F.I. module with a new one and no luck. I did a module test and both seems good. I noticed that when I took the distributor out and rotated it, the magnet inside rubs against the metal ring groves. I am suspecting the didtributor is bad. I will borrow tomorrow a distributor from a friend to see if the whole piece is bad. One qwestion: Does anyone knows if an MSD distributor from a '94-'95 can be adapted to my '91? If this is possible, what is needed to make it work? I have one that is fairly new.

Tank5879

Established Member
the only major replaceable parts for the ignition are the TFI, the PIP (profile ignition pickup-electronic piece in distrubutor) and the coil....make sure you are putting the distrubutor back in correctly too...180 degrees off, and it'll never run...good luck

04silversnake

Established Member
I there a way to get the distributor 180 deg. wrong? This is what I did, I made sure the timing marks was pointing at the 0 degree timing Top Dead Point and placed the distributor where the rotor is pointing the No. 1 plug wire in the dist. cap. Thank you for you help on this issue.

lone sailor

Established Member
04silversnake said:
I there a way to get the distributor 180 deg. wrong? This is what I did, I made sure the timing marks was pointing at the 0 degree timing Top Dead Point and placed the distributor where the rotor is pointing the No. 1 plug wire in the dist. cap. Thank you for you help on this issue.

Yes, you can still be 180 degrees out. All you have to do to see if it is, is turn the balancer over till it reaches 0 degrees again (TDC) and then set your distributor back in with the bug pointing at the number 1 plug on the cap. If it was 180 degrees out to begin with it should fire right up.

04silversnake

Established Member
Ok i will do that just to make sure if it starts that way. I will also try another distributor to make sure i mine is causing the problem. I will let you know the outcome.

Tank5879

Established Member
make sure you are at TDC on the compression stroke, i.e. take the #1 plug out and rotate the engine with a socket and make sure that you can feel the piston pushing the air out of the cylinder with your finger over the spark plug hole...and check to see that the distrubutor is pointing at #1, (more or less straight back)

04silversnake

Established Member
Tank5879 said:
make sure you are at TDC on the compression stroke, i.e. take the #1 plug out and rotate the engine with a socket and make sure that you can feel the piston pushing the air out of the cylinder with your finger over the spark plug hole...and check to see that the distrubutor is pointing at #1, (more or less straight back)
Ok, I will try that when I get home with the new distributor I just got. I noticed the distributor I got, the magnet (dont know what its called) inside the rotor does not rub the metal ring around it like the one I pulled from the car. I think that it went bad. I will replace the dist. today and let you guys know it that solve the problem.

04silversnake

Established Member
Update:
just changed the distributor and it just fired up. Glad to see her working. Thanks to all you guys for the input.
going to test drive it.

lone sailor

Established Member
04silversnake said:
Update:
just changed the distributor and it just fired up. Glad to see her working. Thanks to all you guys for the input.
going to test drive it.

Awesome, glad it's working for you. Dielectric grease is what you want to put on the tfi module, it requires a special tool to remove it, but it's only a $3-$4 part. You can get it at most auto part stores. Have fun with it!!! :rockon:

04silversnake

Established Member
lone sailor said:
Awesome, glad it's working for you. Dielectric grease is what you want to put on the tfi module, it requires a special tool to remove it, but it's only a $3-$4 part. You can get it at most auto part stores. Have fun with it!!! :rockon:
That is what I used (dialectric grease). I had some that I had bought when I changed my cables and rotor cab. Also, Autozone had the special tool to remove the tfi. Thank you all.

Users who are viewing this thread