Engine Tick or Paranioa? Video clip w/ Sound

V8Mustang

Established Member
Engine Tick or Paranoia? Video clip w/ Sound

I thought about doing some mods but may have an unusual engine noise when warmed up. Car is an '04 w/ 3,600 miles and the only mod is a cat back that has been on for about 50 miles. Engine always makes noise when cold but others I've heard do the same. However, I noticed a few months ago when it is warmed up it also makes a ticking / light knocking @ idle (before the cat back install). I think I would have noticed this before now due to my sensitive hearing and attention to the car, so I think the noise is new. It is faint in the video (louder on the pass side) but I can hear it from in the car w/ the windows up at idle and from about 10' away as well.

Anyone w/ a confirmed tick hear this or is it normal? I have listened to one vid some time ago that was extremely audible and mine is not that loud but I think that was in an advanced stage of the tick.

http://media.putfile.com/2004-Cobra-Engine-Noise

Last edited:

P_RsSVT

Established Member
Its odd that you have it on the opposite side from what almost everybody else has had. To answer your question, yes it does sound like the tick to me...

etfhb

Established Member
I can only say my tick sounds exactly like yours
(your whole recording is very quite, but I can just
barely hear your tick).

I have no clue what the dealer will say,
but I have received advice that I have the tick
(not the advanced crazy pounding with a tack hammer tick)

Mine is louder when warmed up & is audible 10 feet away
(compounded by a wall).
Best of luck to you, I guess the best bet is find a good dealer

Some references if you have the time:

Nasty tick:

http://media.putfile.com/MOV0132363

the tick on my car next to a wall:

http://media.putfile.com/2partalmostready

:(

MG01SVT

citius, fortius
Established Member
Your sound is the tranny noise. It is louder on the pass. side because you have a wall close by. All the newer Cobras I have owned (3, 1 2001 and 2 2003's) have all made that noise. If you are worried, which it sounds like you are then take it in. Be warned though, if you are anal about your car like I am, keep a close eye on it with the techs at your dealership. A request to ID a strange noise can wind up being a flogfest for a heavy footed tech. My advice is to you if you take it in, is put a space saver on one of the rear half shafts.

Good luck and reply back when you find out what it is.
A

mattz03svt

Just a normal poster
Established Member
I don't think it is the tick. I think it is an exhaust leak. The passenger side is prone to exhaust leak (even from the factory) due to it uses a gasket to seal the manifolds to the mid pipe. The gasket is only one the PASSENGER side. I have known a few Cobras to loose the exhaust leak when they switch mid pipes and align the gasket properly. Just my .2 cents. I heard the tick, bud and you don't have it. Mine and several of my buddies sound identical to yours.

Blaine

Established Member
I clicked on the wrong sound click.

Your tick is WAY to quiet right now. Could be anything. Don't have to worry about that noise being the tick until it gets really loud.

Yes the sound gradually increases over time. So at first you wouldn't have noticed it over the normal noisey Cobra engine.

No telling what a dealer will tell you. Depends on the intelligence of the dealer.

Last edited:

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
mine has the same poof-poofing sound. Sound louder in a drivethrough. There is a lot of weird sounds the Cobra makes compared to my 02 GT. Just have to get used to it. If the poofing sound is an exhaust leak, can it be easily repaired at a shop?

Blaine

Established Member
etfhb said:
I can only say my tick sounds exactly like yours
(your whole recording is very quite, but I can just
barely hear your tick).

I have no clue what the dealer will say,
but I have received advice that I have the tick
(not the advanced crazy pounding with a tack hammer tick)

Mine is louder when warmed up & is audible 10 feet away
(compounded by a wall).
Best of luck to you, I guess the best bet is find a good dealer

Some references if you have the time:

Nasty tick:

http://media.putfile.com/MOV0132363

the tick on my car next to a wall:

http://media.putfile.com/2partalmostready

:(

This is the full blown tick. If your car doesn't sound this bad don't worry about it yet.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Last edited:

02true blue L

Established Member
my truck makes a ticking noise sometimes when cold,some say it is piston slap,fuel injector noise,seems like a normal thing for fords

P_RsSVT

Established Member
Thats is what my tick sounded like. True, is not too loud yet, but my warranty was running out so I decided to get a new head for free before it was too late. But the actual noise didnt bother me..

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
What did you guys say to the dealer when you brought it in? Last time I was there they said "they all do that" My warranty is up in 6k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread