Engine Ticking

Scottman

Established Member
Hey guys, did another run in a CSVT tonight. It had a few problems and suprise suprise, the dealer didn't know what one of them was. First of all, its a 2000 with 72k on it. I know thats a bit high but the engine and exterior are the cleanest, well kept ive ever seen on a contour. The biggest problem was a ticking sound to the engine. It happened all through the rpms. Second, there was a warning light on that looked like a box with a fan in it. Any ideas on either of those?

Dustyn

Established Member
the ticking sound like an exhaust leak. The box with a fan is your cooling system. I get that light when I have low coolant in the tank.

chrisilversvt

Established Member
to get rid of that cooling fan light"box w/ fan"add about a 1/2 inch of coolant mixture above the max line...the sensor is xtra sensitive..mine has never come back on since...

1qwkpny

Established Member
mine developed the "tick" and it was just that the resonator had a hole in it so I cut it off and welded in a piece of pipe to replace it.

Speed Demons

Mine started with a ticking sound. Thought it was an exhaust leak especially since I was using an aftermarket Y-Pipe.
Than one day engine light came on, oil light started flashing, and the ticking got alot louder and than a grinding. Turns out I either spun a bearing or broke the crankshaft. A common problem with our cars.

Users who are viewing this thread