Engineering work in North Carolina

aaandht

Established Member
Hey all,

I'm currently looking to relocate out of NJ and one place my girlfriend and I have been looking is NC, near Charlotte. I have some friends that have made the move and are happy with the decision. My one worry is job security down there. A side from a few larger companies, NJs mechanical engineering jobs are not what they once were. This coupled with the high cost of living, along with some other factors, have fueled my decision to move from NJ. I am a recent grad and I do have a job doing work for a Navy subcontractor, but its not really my passion and I was sort of misled as to what I would be doing for the company.

Any who, my question is what is the availability of entry level mechanical engineering work?

---Sent via Blackberry

Condor21

Established Member
I have a Mechanical Engineering and the market is tough. Everyone is looking for 2-3 years experience in 2-3 different things like autocad, sigma six, and others. Year and half ago I put out over 400 resumes and only got 2 phone calls back. I ended up going back to school, and I'm going for an associates in welding technology.

obryant21

Established Member
Hey man, I just moved into Charlotte about 3 months ago and here's what I've gathered thus far.....

This city is exploding. By most accounts you wouldn't even be able to tell that there is or was a recession happening. That being said I work for the city of Charlotte. I'm 27 and fresh out of the military so I was looking for entry-ish level positions myself. I would tell you to check out the city and see what there is open: we maintain somewhere in the neighborhood of 6600 employees and they seem to be hiring loads of people everyday. I'm not specifically in the engineering field, however, I have many colleagues that are and I know that the opportunities are available. Also check into NASCAR as well as the bigger race teams, they're all over Charlotte. If you really want to come down this way, it won't be that hard. Good luck

GodStang

Established Member
NC/SC have tons and tons of engineering jobs. IF you dont mind the Nuke field there is even more. Between Shaw, Flour, Day and zimmerman, Areva, and Jacobs their are jobs a plenty. Fort Mills is just outside of Charlotte, Greenville, SC, SRS in Aiken SC, are all areas hiring.

aaandht

Established Member
Thanks for the info. As much as I'd love to work for a Nascar team, I think that will be a bit of a longshot. I'm heading down to visit some friends in early November so I might scout out some employers at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread