Engineers that use MIL specs or standards step inside

Spoolx

Established Member
So I design products for a company and we routinely use mil specs to identify process parameters for our products. For example we may say polish per mil spec-xxx.xx., or anodize per mil spec-xxx.xx

Recently, I released a drawing that said process per mil-spec-xxx.xxx and below it I identified a parameter that falls outside the mil spec.

More specifically I said process per mil-spec -xxx.xx, and apply a coating thickness of .0004-.0008. However, the mil spec recommends a minimum of .0005.

We use the thickness primarily to dictate a color we want
So we had to use that range, additionally it was recommended by the coating business who applies this coat in per the mil spec all day every day. I originally thought it was no problem but I am starting to second guess myself. The mil-spec provides tons of information, and we deviate from one small portion of it to fit our needs. We aren't military.

What is everyone's take on it?

Last edited:

flash0080

Established Member
No problem.... If your worried about it just change it to .0005-.0008. then you fall in the spec. Minimum is .0005 so anything at or greater is good.

Spoolx

Established Member
The problem is drawing changes in my industry are a nightmare. I really feel like the drawing dictates the end result and since the drawing clearly states the expectation that I am fine. Especially since its not a government or military thing.

Just kinda wanted others opinions, its been bugging me all day .
Thanks all

BRNG ITT

Established Member
The problem is drawing changes in my industry are a nightmare. I really feel like the drawing dictates the end result and since the drawing clearly states the expectation that I am fine. Especially since its not a government or military thing.

Just kinda wanted others opinions, its been bugging me all day .
Thanks all

In the military (the navy at least), governing documents are established within a hierarchy in case there is conflicting information. For instance, if a source document gives one spec and the drawing gives a conflicting spec, you go with the document/drawing higher on the food chain.

But.....it doesn't sound like you have multiple governing documents that you use, so I'd say go with what flash and nastynate recommended.

jimmy77

Established Member
If you call out a mil spec than you must note any deviation on the detail drawing itself. Just flagnote it and state the acceptable range.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If you don't want to roll a new revision, just issue an E.O. on the drawing. Are you the only one who buys parts on this drawing? It's hard to say with 100% certainty that what comes in under the mil spec min. is ok without knowing more about the coating, but I'd wager it's probably acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread