enough talk about chrome wheels, what about polished?

NXSVTCOBRA

there are some people out there with polished wheels that shines just like chromies, what can i do to get my stock 2001 cobra wheels to shine like that??

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Most likely your polished wheels are coated. So other than caring for them like you would the paint pinish of your car there is not much else you can do. But if they are not coated, then you have a lot of options. I like never-dull, on chrome and polished surfaces.

NXSVTCOBRA

how do you think i can tell if the are coated without f'n them up?? i love my stock wheels and plan on keeping thm but i just want to see them shine like chromies

Slowbra01

Established Member
im in the same situation as you sprayed pony........been mentionin it here and there and no one has made a thread or said anything to answer... im waiting!! hehe

01vert

Established Member
stock wheels are clear coated and as good as they can get without removing clearcoat and rebuffing

I will NEVER have polished aluminum wheels again after my harley, waterspots, oxidizing, uneven polish, hated them, waaaaay too much maintenance to keep decent. Looks great for about a day after you polish them then they go downhill.
Chrome seems so much easier for the little premium you pay for them

Easy way to twll if a wheel is clearcoated (all factory wheels are) is to try and buff them with neverdull and if the wadding stays clean then they are clearcoated, if it starts to turn black than they are natural. Many ebay aftermarket wheels are not clearcoated, that is why they are cheaper.

Last edited:

01vert

Established Member
Use aircraft stripper or send to a pro. The wheels can get messed up if the wrong stuff is used, must be safe for aluminum. Some wheels polish better than others due to porosity(sp) of the aluminum. First time is a lot of work and there are a couple of sites out there about polishing aluminum. Don't expect to just hit it with aluminum polish and get a perfect wheel. Look on the eastwood catalog for an aluminum polishing kit. May be cheaper to just have them done and then just keep them up by yourself

NXSVTCOBRA

i got a quote, $75 per wheel for stripping and a high polish done, here locally, saw his work and his high-polish work looks like chrome, he also gives the shyt to keep up the polished look

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Sounds good. It will indeed look better than the machined polish that the stockers have.

Slowbra01

Established Member
sprayed pony... i am also in miami :beer: ... can u give me the number to the place you have found?... how did u look them up? perhaps under the same category i can find other places and compare prices :idea: ?? please reply! :shrug:

NXSVTCOBRA

i called around with people in the bargain trader, this particular guy is in Hialeah Gardens, 305-825-8002, there is a cheaper guy in Homestead but i dont want to go all the way to homestead, and not like his work

01vert

Established Member
If you are going to spend $75 a wheel, why not look into selling yours and buying chromed ones, just an idea.

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
i got a quote, $75 per wheel for stripping and a high polish done, here locally, saw his work and his high-polish work looks like chrome, he also gives the shyt to keep up the polished look
I just bought polished wheels for my 03 from AFS and would like to take the satin painted factory wheels down to a high polish as well for drag tires. I'm a little far from Miami but as a last resort may check out your guy if you are happy with the work.

I will NEVER have polished aluminum wheels again after my harley, waterspots, oxidizing, uneven polish, hated them, waaaaay too much maintenance to keep decent. Looks great for about a day after you polish them then they go downhill.
I like polished better than chrome on flatter spoked wheels. Plus if they get nicked you can repolish. I am going to try Zoop Seal on my wheels - www.zoopseal.com - it is supposed to stop oxidation for 1-2 years. We shall see.

mackj66

Established Member
Polished suck!!!!!!!!! I have them, and like was said above...WAY TOOO MUCH WORK!
Just get the chrome and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread