erratic idle?

genoapb

Established Member
Hopefully you can help me figure out what the problem is? Sometimes it will idle real low, then diesel or quit or just diesel or just idle low and sometimes it will idle real high, just below 2 grand. In no paticular order, totally random but quite often. Pretty much everytime I drive the car I have one of these simptoms. Although the high idle only seems to happen after ive been driving the car for a long period of time. The rest are totally random, what do you think I should check for? Maybe I should have autozone or one of those places hook me up to the computer and see what kind of codes I get?

shatter-proof

Established Member
genoapb said:
Hopefully you can help me figure out what the problem is? Sometimes it will idle real low, then diesel or quit or just diesel or just idle low and sometimes it will idle real high, just below 2 grand. In no paticular order, totally random but quite often. Pretty much everytime I drive the car I have one of these simptoms. Although the high idle only seems to happen after ive been driving the car for a long period of time. The rest are totally random, what do you think I should check for? Maybe I should have autozone or one of those places hook me up to the computer and see what kind of codes I get?

I'd vote IAC valve.. I had similar happen to me after I swapped my throttle body. Turns out my IAC valve was toast. I was able to clean it and it would work fine for a while, but once things got good and warm I'd stop at a stop like and it would drop the rpms down to normal level, then they'd start to rise upto ~2k then sit there.. everyone looked at me like I was trying to race them. Crazy stuff..

genoapb

Established Member
I havent owned this car very long, where is the IAC valve located and how much is it to replace it? I just want to get this car in perfect running order so I can sell it. Thanks for the replies

genoapb

Established Member
Ok, I went to autozone and the only code my car is throwing is P1131. I also checked a price on the IAC valve while I was there and its not too bad. So if you guys think this is the problem, ill just order one up? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread