Eulogy for my Dad

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I lost my dad a couple of weeks ago. It came as a shock. He was living in an apartment in a nursing home that I put him in with my Aunt, who I also take care of. She fell and ended up in the hospital and when I came to check on him a day later I found him curled up in a ball on the floor. He had fallen and broke a couple of ribs but was otherwise OK.

They both were in separate hospitals and then to rehab facilities 30 miles apart. The rehab facilities were total hell holes, especially the one that my Aunt was in. After an indescribable effort to get them discharged, I was able to get them transferred to a memory care facility. They were down the hall from each other and seemed to be adapting well.

For some perspective, in the last 6 months I have buried my step mom, moved my dad out of his house, sold his house, gotten rid of all of his shit, moved my Aunt out of her apartment, gotten rid of all of her shit, moved them both into a nursing home, dealt with the hospital and rehab situation, and moved them out of their apartment and into a memory care facility. Not to mention consolidating all of his + my aunt's financial accounts which were a total mess, taking both to the doctor, managing both of their health care, and bossing around my idiot siblings who were no help through this process.

So, I got them into the memory care facility and thought that things would stabilize for a bit.

Well, 6 days after I moved him in I received this series of phone calls:

1) 6:45 AM voice male from my dad that was a garbled, him calling my name. I did not think anything of it. He was calling me every 15 minutes at this point, most of which was gibberish.

2) 7:15 AM call from the head nurse at the facility "we're sorry, he didn't make it." WHAT THE ****? It turns out he had a pulmonary embolism and called me while he was dying.

I am still processing it.

Here is the eulogy that I gave at his funeral. I hope it brightens your day even if it is a bit sad. He lives on through everyone that knew him; may he live on in all that read this.

"I have heard it said that we are the average of all the people in our lives. From our closest relationships to casual acquaintances, we are made up of who we know. As I look out today, it strikes me how great my dad was based on how great all of you are.

One thing that strikes me is what an eclectic collection of friends he had. Some of you may know him from seminary at Nazareth Hall. Some of you became fast friends at DeLaSalle. Some of you are friends and family of my mom. Some of you met him through Ivy. My dad had several different stages of life and picked up new friends at each.

Many of you knew a unique John, depending on what stage of life he was at. I would like to tell you a bit about the John that I knew, or Dad as I called him.

He could be goofy. He loved to dress up as Dracula for Halloween. He could be strict, which I did not like as a kid but I can see the wisdom as an adult.

He loved a bargain and used coupons. He could never resist a garage sale. He loved going to auctions and never left without something that seemed like junk but was really a long lost treasure.

He loved cowboys and collected the art of the west throughout his life. He loved books and always had two or three on his nightstand. He loved theatre and good movies, too.

He was loyal and took care of his mom and sister for as long as he could. His best friends were people that he met in high school.

He loved dad jokes but could be a philosopher, too. To this end, I would like to share a brief story.

My dad and mom moved to California when I was very young. They made their way in a place very different than South Minneapolis, where my dad had grown up. But they rose to the occasion and adapted to the new environment.

Getting us to school was one of these challenges. I went to private school and there were no school buses. Being the organizer that my dad was, he put together a car pool with our neighbors, whose children went to the same school. We all became fast friends and spent our mornings and afternoons together as we were shuttled back and forth.

When it was my dad’s turn to drive we would all pile into the back of his Volvo and he would drop us off. As we were leaving, he would tell us “do not take any wooden nickels.” Every. Single. Time.

As a young kid, this was perplexing to me. I often pondered what this meant.

Was it just a silly dad joke, or was it something else?

Were there actually wooden nickels in circulation?

I was not doing much transacting at the time, how would I encounter this situation?

Would I know a wooden nickel when I saw one?

What would happen if I did take a wooden nickel?

As I got older, I would reflect on this. There was a serious lesson to be had in that I should be on guard and not be a sucker. But it was also a silly dad joke that he was telling us to get a laugh and start our day on a good note. It also was a way of him telling us that he loved us and looked forward to being with us each morning.

I tell you this, because this is how my dad was. He was very serious on one end but also very easygoing at the same time. It took me a long time to realize how much he has enriched my life and will take more time still to fully appreciate this. But enrich he did. It seems like we had such a short time together and I miss him already. As sad as I am that he is gone, I rejoice for the time that we spent together while he was here and I know that all of you do, too."

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
That was beautiful.
So sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
You're a great son, and family member. Your father sounds like one of the good ones.

Spend as much time with your parents as you can, their older than you think.

LS WUT

Established Member
God damn brother, I’m terribly sorry to hear about your loss. You’re a gentlemen and a scholar to take charge in all of the mess that was handed to you. Anyone would be grateful to have you as their son. You did everything you could not only for your aunt, but for your father. I commend you a million times for this. I was caretaker for my grandma, and my father on his last few months. It takes a toll on you no matter how strong you’re. May he rest in peace. Thanks for sharing the eulogy for him. Always hear if you need anything man, even if it’s just to bullshit and get your mind off things. Don’t be a stranger.

Adower

Established Member
Sorry to hear. It’s never easy watching your loved ones on their way out. There are lots of should have and could have moments that you’ll think about. However, we all do what we can when we can.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I lost my father 2 yrs ago and my mother this past Dec. I know what you're going through and am praying for you

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Thanks to you and everyone else. You do not truly become a man until you bury your father.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Sorry for your loss Klaus

Top notch eulogy. That opening paragraph though; you grabbed your audience and had them hanging on your every word thereafter. Well done, I'm sure your dad would be proud of the boy he raised.

I hope when I have to do the same, it'll be half as good as yours.

Also, at least dude posted "in the living years" and not "cats in the cradle." I'll never not fight tears at that one.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
A lot of what you said resonated with me even as my upbringing bears some similarity to what you described so I'm sure it resonated with many that were there in attendance. Well said and I'm very sorry for the loss of your dad.

I dread the day my parents both pass as I will miss them dearly, but I am also comforted knowing that they will surely be in a much more peaceful and joyful place than what we experience here in this life. This life is imperative but it is just the beginning of our entire existence. We're destined for greater things than what this life offers, and your father is now enjoying the fruits of his labors from the love and joy he shared with all around him. He sounds like a great man.

Users who are viewing this thread