Europe-ish

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
Next friday (5/17) I leave for my first trip ever to Europe. We head to Italy and spend about 3 days in Rome doing some sight seeing, vinyard, possibly pompeii. Then we get on a cruise which goes around the sea and spends about 1 day in a few other Italian cities I cant remember the name of. Then to France for 1 day, and Monte Carlo for the weekend for the Monaco Grand Prix for my 1 year anniversary.

Does anyone have any must do things while in Rome? I know the obvious things, but maybe something a little less known. I do not have time to go to Ferrari & Pagani as I wanted.

Then at the end of August into September I head back to Europe and go to Belgium for the F1 race at SPA. We will also spend time in Brussels and Bruges. Then head to Luxembourg, Austria and Germany.

It will be a nice traveling year.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

BigLou1

Established Member
We go to Greece and Cyprus every other year to see family. Fun time. Don't know if I'd ever live in either one, but it's fun for vacationing.

Also been to Germany, Switzerland and England. Lots of history in these countries, from wars to cars.

nxhappy

Established Member
We go to Greece and Cyprus every other year to see family. Fun time. Don't know if I'd ever live in either one, but it's fun for vacationing.

Also been to Germany, Switzerland and England. Lots of history in these countries, from wars to cars.
God I LOVE real Greek food !

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Next friday (5/17) I leave for my first trip ever to Europe. We head to Italy and spend about 3 days in Rome doing some sight seeing, vinyard, possibly pompeii.

Does anyone have any must do things while in Rome? I know the obvious things, but maybe something a little less known. I do not have time to go to Ferrari & Pagani as I wanted.

Check when the Pope gives speeches. From like 5 years ago I want to say it's on Wednesdays at like 10am. I got there just as he was arriving. He drove around in the Pope-mobile and stopped to give a couple blessings, one of which was like 10 feet from me.

PxudFKa.jpg

In the Sistine Chapel, you'll hear the guards yelling NO PHOTOS!!! That's mostly aimed at Chinese tourists holding an iPad over their head. If you want your own photo, get down on one knee like you're typing your shoes and no one will know.

;)

Vdv3JF8.jpg

Pompeii is a time value of money issue. There's a fast train from Rome, maybe like 90 euros round trip and takes 70 minutes. There's also a slow train that takes 2.5 hours, you get to see the coast line a bit and it costs 15 euros. I went the cheap route. At the entrance, there will be countless guides who offer you a tour. On one hand, everything they tell you could be memories fairly easy. On the other hand, it's fun to hear some of the stories/facts. I haven't done it, but Rick Steves has great audio guides. You can download them to your phone and play them while walking around Pompeii or other sites in Rome.

Rome...I went it under planned and probably missed out on a lot of stuff. Valid reason to return I guess. :) One thing I did enjoy was checking out the main sites, late at night. The moon was bright, I felt safe, and no one was around.

Otherwise, it's 2019 so by now there's 50 different expats in Rome, vlogging about the best this or that, plus countless blogs on the top 10 sites, places, etc.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Thanks for the response bud! I will be doing as much as I can and may miss Pompeii sadly. I think I have only 3 days before our cruise leaves

Users who are viewing this thread