EV question

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder how many anti-EV folks might change their minds if the EV went 0-60 in under 3 seconds. My analogy would be if I was a regular gas-powered GoKart driver on a large track and swore I'd only drive gas powered GoKarts. And then one day I'm offered a ride in an electric GoKart that was twice as quick/fast as my gas powered GoKart. I'd probably convert to the electric GoKart because of the superior performance. I don't know, though. We're just going to have to see how it pans out. I really do believe that just like a lot of diehard manual transmission guys have been sold on the new GT-500's DCT, a lot of diehard gas powered car owners will be sold on upcoming EVs. Especially when the EVs are coupes with superior power, designs, engineering, and interiors. We'll see.

I drove a model S a few years ago that belonged to a friend. Its 0-06 time was 2.5 seconds apparently.

For me, it was fun, but I was bored after 30 mins. It was soulless and numb. Fit and finish was ok, overall the design was good. Point is, for me, no thanks. There is more to it (for me) then a fast 0-60 or the latest technology. Quite a bit more. At this point (and I really don't see that changing) EV's are just not for me in terms of an exciting hotrod. Different strokes.

EV's are the future and they will only get better. There is a lot to work out such as the grid, mining batteries, production and disposal. They aren't "Green" as of yet but it will get there.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
For me an EV is not about performance, although my brother in laws Tesla 3 has duel motors and is the fastest car I’ve ever driven. I didn’t like the whole auto drive thing though. But my Fusion Energi is a great mix of economy and Luxury. It has plenty of get up and good and I get around 800 miles on a tank. (13 gal.)

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I would buy one today as is.

Change in engines is going to happen sooner than later. Crude will always be pumped out of the earth as too many idiots don't realize how many applications use crude.
Tires, solvents, roofing material, candles, plastics, asphalt etc...

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not into the EV idea/trend at all. I can't see myself ever owning one. As an enthusiast, there is so much more to enjoy/experience than just acceleration. I've never been in a Tesla or equivalent EV, but I imagine the dash to 60 and the 1/4 mile, while impressive, is lacking.

For me, as well as many others, I enjoy sitting at a stop light while the cam/s shakes the car. The exhaust pounding the ground. The smell of ethanol or leaded race gas. Who doesn't smile when they smell C-16?

I've had my '97 Cobra for 10 1/2 years and it still has the Mach 460 stereo system. I don't know if it still works. I never turn it on. When the engine is turned on, the windows go down. There are so many sensations that make up the experience we chase with this hobby. Mere numbers are such a small part of it.

I enjoy feeling everything, smelling everything, and hearing everything.

An EV leaves most everything out.

Blown 89

Established Member
My analogy would be if I was a regular gas-powered GoKart driver on a large track and swore I'd only drive gas powered GoKarts. And then one day I'm offered a ride in an electric GoKart that was twice as quick/fast as my gas powered GoKart. I'd probably convert to the electric GoKart because of the superior performance.
Electric karts exist and they're terrible. Too much weight, sloppy handling, horrible braking. They have gobs of torque but battery weight is prohibitive. I'm not opposed to EV's but they have a LONG way to go before they're viable none the less fun.

blk02edge

Established Member
I wonder how many anti-EV folks might change their minds if the EV went 0-60 in under 3 seconds. My analogy would be if I was a regular gas-powered GoKart driver on a large track and swore I'd only drive gas powered GoKarts. And then one day I'm offered a ride in an electric GoKart that was twice as quick/fast as my gas powered GoKart. I'd probably convert to the electric GoKart because of the superior performance. I don't know, though. We're just going to have to see how it pans out. I really do believe that just like a lot of diehard manual transmission guys have been sold on the new GT-500's DCT, a lot of diehard gas powered car owners will be sold on upcoming EVs. Especially when the EVs are coupes with superior power, designs, engineering, and interiors. We'll see.
An electric Go-Kart that is twice as fast as a current gas powered shifter would likely kill a man. I'm not worried about electric tech beating the 2 strokes because we are already at the limits of the human body.

quad

Established Member
Electric karts exist and they're terrible. Too much weight, sloppy handling, horrible braking. They have gobs of torque but battery weight is prohibitive. I'm not opposed to EV's but they have a LONG way to go before they're viable none the less fun.
I don't think this is the Plaid +. That should be interesting...

quad

Established Member
I think this Tesla looks very nice! Great color and wheels!

Some comments:

DoctaM3
1 year ago
This is gonna be killer. just look at it!

MatesSk0071 year ago
Wide body looks insane. If they get the interior right it will sell like hot cakes.

ajcsanders1 year ago (edited)
The sound that thing makes! Is it just me or does it look absolutely stunning? Edit: read through the comments - it's not not just me ;-)

BlackTalon531 year ago
That thing looks meaner than ten pitbulls.

rborden

Established Member
Ford, GM have to go EV so they can keep up with Tesla's 1/4 and 0-60 times ;)

I hope someone develops an aftermarket electric conversion kit for all the different years of mustangs past and present.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
As fun as manuals are, EV don't need gearing. You're applying an old time solution to a modern day problem that doesn't exist.

As for buying one, even Elon says we lack the power grid for mass EVs. Look at CA, can't keep the lights on, but somehow we're gonna stop selling gassers in 14yrs? Just watch when even 5% of cars on the road are EV when people start crying about not being able to drive their car because powers out. Then again, with what's happening economically and politically, maybe that's the plan, we all won't need to go anywhere for anything anymore, so an EV or not is all a moot point.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I often thought about a battery quick swap station down the road. The station keeps precharged batteries and takes out the old one, sort of like a giant flashlight.

I am a proponent of longer range also. Nothing would suck more than driving all day and not having a station near a hotel or no secure way to charge at the hotel. Perhaps parking spots can induce charges like phone chargers you lay the phone on.
500 mile range that can charge to 80% in 30 min and cost less than 50k. There is nothing on the horizon close to this cost for cost.

I researched this a few days ago.

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Everyone touts "Well it's faster than your gas guzzler! Get with the program, grandpa! You don't need it to have soul!" But that's such a myopic view. For me they still have yet to deliver on a number of variables. I won't deny they're quick. But quick comes at the expensive of range, which already isn't great. And that wouldn't even be much of an issue if they could charge faster. Factor in the cost, and it's not a good combination. They would be great for a small in town commuter to run errands, but that's only a small set of the population, and they're still not cheap enough for that.

For me to seriously consider them they would need to have-
  1. Performance
  2. Range
  3. Quick charging time
  4. Higher GVW capability
  5. Cost

Technological deflation. Just like T.V. and computers and smartphones... so will go electric car.

Think back to $10,000 50 inch plasma tv's in early 2000... now you get a superior quality product for 1/10th.

Same will be the case with automotive.
And this is coming from a U.A.W. employee on the line.

After doing some computer shopping I wonder how much that will hold out. It seems that with software taking ever more capability to run and hardware not progressing as fast as it used to nor getting as cheap as it used to. EVs have certainly come a vast way to the point that they're even remotely viable now, but they still have a way to go to be the truly only option.

One benefit of electric car drag races is you can have perfect launches and the cops won't know you are racing! I know gas cars have more personality but it is quite impressive / sad how easily the Tesla cars are beating almost everyone in drag races. Now with their Plaid + they are going to run low 9s on the street! I recently watched a Bugatti Veyron manage a 9.9 second in the 1/4 mile and meanwhile the Tesla Plaid + will blow it's doors off!

How long until we see Tesla swaps into fox bodies and other cars lmao!

Part of me wonders how much it's going to sap the point and fun out of racing. If everyone has perfect traction all the time and just has to mash the skinny pedal, what's the point? But then again, if EVs are going to be the only way, they're likely going to be paired with auto driving features and nannies that will make it all but impossible to achieve.

I hope someone develops an aftermarket electric conversion kit for all the different years of mustangs past and present.

Makes me think about some future business opportunities... There's certainly a market for the rich wanting electric restomods.

And where I work they already offer electrification powertrain kits, albeit for much bigger vehicles.

blk02edge

Established Member
They'll be like playing with a slot car with heavy magnets, requiring zero skill, just put your foot down and go while clapping like a simpleton. Haha Tesla go fast

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
They'll be like playing with a slot car with heavy magnets, requiring zero skill, just put your foot down and go while clapping like a simpleton. Haha Tesla go fast

I think there's a good chance that by the time they're widespread and viable it's going to be autonomous driving anyway. And with that the transition from private ownership to fleet rental on demand service. Owning a car much less a gasoline one will be a rarity for the rich hobbyist. They'll be the equivalent of today's horse girls.

Blown 89

Established Member
I don't think this is the Plaid +. That should be interesting...

That's 4 seconds faster than a McLaren 12c......which would you rather drive on the track?

People get too wrapped up in bench racing times.

Users who are viewing this thread