Ever feel like giving up on modding your car?

Same as thread title

• Yes but the +'s outweigh the -'s

Votes: 36 48.0%
  • Yes I gave up long ago

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • No everything turned out the way I wanted

Votes: 28 37.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueoval4ever

голубой овал на всегда
Established Member
So far everything I've done I'm not satisfied with. Here is what I've done so far and the side effects.

1. Wider wheels and tires- Made the car track grooves really bad.
2. Lowering springs- Made the ride harsh and now it tracks worse.
3. Camber plates- Now the suspension clunks really bad.
4. Dynomax Ultra flows- Now I have a bad rattle in the trunk area at certain rpms. Love the sound though.
5. O/R H pipe- Jegs sold me the wrong one now I have to drive 2hrs round trip to return it.
6. Grille delete kit- Did not include any hardware and fit like crap. had to order the header panel cover seperate.
7. BBK CAI- 4 bolts for the MAS, but only 3 nuts that fit.

Maybe I'm just anal but this stuff bugs the shit out of me everytime I drive my car.
image153tx.gif

Last edited:

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
the day i stop modding my car, is the day i have no money (there seems to be always something i want to do next, that i have to replace before it breaks, or i need to run at the track with my times)

Somedays I wish I had never modded my car in the first place and kept it stock....then I look it, take it for a ride and go how dumb was I to even think of having it stock looking and performing :banana:

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Well, I've always found that if I mod I need to have the time and ability to work with it continually until I get things worked out to my satisfaction. After that happens, it's just as good as a factory part.

ogc

Established Member
After UD pulleys eventually caused the demise of my engine I have become seriously deterred from modding my car.

blueoval4ever

голубой овал на всегда
Established Member
ogc said:
After UD pulleys eventually caused the demise of my engine I have become seriously deterred from modding my car.
How did that happen?

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Well, the only problem i have had with modding was when i put on UD pulleys, i couldn't keep my battery charged. I have done alot of modding to both of my cars. You are just having some bad luck.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
never ever have I felt giving up on modding my car.....in a couple of weeks a fully built and supercharged 302 is going under my 94....that'll take care of alot of the cars around my already....and it's going to be my daily driver so wish me luck... :rockon: :rockon: :beer:

supachargd2k5

Established Member
i havent modded that much do to money but i cant seem to ever think i could give up on the idea, if its your thing than do it but if you give up that easy maybe you should pursue something else. Things will work out, just a case of bad luck :coolman:

ogc

Established Member
blueoval4ever said:
How did that happen?

The mechanic who installed them didnt torque them down enough. Thus they were moving back and forth on the key way eventually causing the key way to break which threw off the cars timing enough to cause a valve to hit a piston = blown motor.

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
YES! I thought I was the only one.. Lets start the list.

-Bassani o/r X. Doesn't fit properly, so I will always hvae an exhaust leak. I checked numerous times, it IS the one specific for my car model and year.
-Magnaflow Catback. tips are uneven after ahnager fell off. Even with new tips and hangers, it still isn't perfect.
-K&N FIPK. (Now replaced by a BBK Cold Air) had a problem fitting in the air temp thing at first. then made it too big and now it is too loose. Just sold it and bought the cold air for cheap. It doesnt even have a hole for the air temp..
-B&M Short throw. Worked great until the stop screws decided to unscrew and made it so i couldnt go into any gears. ****in beautiful when that happens at work.. :rolleyes:
-Eibach Sportlines. Car rides like I have no springs at all. I hit anything remotly bumpy and my head will hit the roof of my car. Happens all the time on the freeway.
-When I took of the tail light bezels to paint them black, they broke and now they wobble slightly.
-Cobra bumper took HELLA days to figure out/put on. broke the grill in the process.
-None of my gauges work from when I installed the white Face gauges.
-New headlights are positioned down too far so I can see great 20 feet ahead of my car... that is all. Broke another part of the grill putting them on too. As well as the stock headlights which broke apart and i had to take it to a service station to get it all apart.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I KNOW theres more.

-Dave

blueoval4ever

голубой овал на всегда
Established Member
98LaserGT said:
YES! I thought I was the only one.. Lets start the list.

-Bassani o/r X. Doesn't fit properly, so I will always hvae an exhaust leak. I checked numerous times, it IS the one specific for my car model and year.
-Magnaflow Catback. tips are uneven after ahnager fell off. Even with new tips and hangers, it still isn't perfect.
-K&N FIPK. (Now replaced by a BBK Cold Air) had a problem fitting in the air temp thing at first. then made it too big and now it is too loose. Just sold it and bought the cold air for cheap. It doesnt even have a hole for the air temp..
-B&M Short throw. Worked great until the stop screws decided to unscrew and made it so i couldnt go into any gears. ****in beautiful when that happens at work.. :rolleyes:
-Eibach Sportlines. Car rides like I have no springs at all. I hit anything remotly bumpy and my head will hit the roof of my car. Happens all the time on the freeway.
-When I took of the tail light bezels to paint them black, they broke and now they wobble slightly.
-Cobra bumper took HELLA days to figure out/put on. broke the grill in the process.
-None of my gauges work from when I installed the white Face gauges.
-New headlights are positioned down too far so I can see great 20 feet ahead of my car... that is all. Broke another part of the grill putting them on too. As well as the stock headlights which broke apart and i had to take it to a service station to get it all apart.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I KNOW theres more.

-Dave

Lol sounds like we should get together and have a cold one. :beer: Thankfully I haven't broke anything yet, just not happy with fitment and stuff like that. You think springs make the ride harsh, add some C/C plates with spherical bearings. I'm not ready to give up just yet, I just need to get some of the other things that bug me straigtened out before I do anything else.

EDIT: I just notice your name is Dave too. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WantLightning

Sleep Now in the Fire
Established Member
I worked at an import shop for the better part of the year. An ex of mine told me that I would lose my passion about cars if I got into the business, and he was partially right - the other half went after the bike wreck.

I don't intend to keep the Cobra or the Lightning or anything else, for that matter, stock.. but I won't be trying to win any contests anymore. I just.. gave up, I guess. The fire is still there in me, but it's so small..

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
blueoval4ever said:
Lol sounds like we should get together and have a cold one. :beer: Thankfully I haven't broke anything yet, just not happy with fitment and stuff like that. You think springs make the ride harsh, add some C/C plates with spherical bearings. I'm not ready to give up just yet, I just need to get some of the other things that bug me straigtened out before I do anything else.

EDIT: I just notice your name is Dave too. :thumbsup:

Yes after all this, I feel like I should have waited for the exhaust, and gotten the gears done first. And I should have had a professional do the gauges.. and new shocks should solve my problem. I hope. I didn't even mention how my car is running rich, and nobody knows why. My car = ghetto.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I try to do mods that I have researched enough that will make me enjoy the car even more. If they don't I find a mod that will suit my needs. Ever remember the first day in your stock ride and how "cool" it was, is what sucks the most is when you end up modding your DD more than your weekend/cruiser.

sonicboom141

I want a cobra!
Established Member
what about the option for dreaming about it everyday! i cant wait for my bday for my new car grrr!!!!
I just watch my lucky brother for now

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
I knew this woudl happen to me, so I stayed out of the biz. However I don't think it's everybody, I have a buddy in Asheville that works on cars all day (complicated jobs) and then comes home to wrench on his twin turbo notch at night. He just split the block at 27 lb boost so he's going to be wrenching for a while...

Sorry to hear about the bike accident. I've BTDT, and back in the saddle for several years. The flame WILL come back if you let it. :)

WantLightning said:
I worked at an import shop for the better part of the year. An ex of mine told me that I would lose my passion about cars if I got into the business, and he was partially right - the other half went after the bike wreck.

I don't intend to keep the Cobra or the Lightning or anything else, for that matter, stock.. but I won't be trying to win any contests anymore. I just.. gave up, I guess. The fire is still there in me, but it's so small..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread