Everlast TIG welder and gas source (incl. tanks) questions

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Hi guys, I've decided it's time to learn about TIG welding.

I already know gas/stick/MIG welding, and I'm setting up my shop.

I've seen TIG being done and was really impressed with the precision that can be had (not to mention the facility it has with different metals) and I've decided to set up a TIG station.

I've pretty much decided on an Everlast 210DV AC/DC welder as it offers pretty much everything a Miller Dynasty has for half the cost.

I met with a welder friend on Saturday, and he said (as far as gasses go) pure Argon works for anything he welds. (got a problem with that; take it up with him, advice with that; I'm all 'ears')

Bring on the "that chinese junk won't..." "Miller's better than all..." and the folks who will say "you get what you pay for..." but as I'm not spending their money; they're spending mine at that point.

Anyone have any experience with Everlast welders? (http://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/tig/powertig-210-ext)

Said welder will cost $1800 where Miller starts (admittedly) about there with the Diversion 180, albeit W/O a bunch of features. The competing Miller (Dynasty, by features) is well over twice that.

Also I need Argon tanks; if I buy them from HF, will Airgas fill them, or should I go through AG for the tanks as well?

Be aware, I'll start as a hobbyist, so I don't want to rent tanks. I'm thinking (tell me I'm wrong) 2x 80 cubic feet tanks would last awhile (once I blow out a bunch learning).

Appreciate your insight; thanks!

Mike

Last edited:

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Talk to your local welding supply. I would just get the bottles from them for ease of exchange. As for the welder you're looking at, I don't know. For similar power, you could also look at a Tweco Fabricator 211. Or for a little more coin step up to a Tweco 252. I believe that one is made in the USA, and only $400 more than your powertig

Tylerc

Established Member
Tweco is good made by victor. Everlast is junk and have fun with them actually warranting it when it breaks. Htp is thr best cheap brand you can buy, very popular in Europe made in Italy. If you have enough power than just buy an older miller syncrowave. Nothing wrong with older machines other than power requirements. As i am a professional welder i have heard so many horror stories on cheap machines.

Most places will not fill other company's bottles so definitely check first. Also filling a larger cylinder is much cheaper than an 80 c.f. tank.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Check out the new syncrowave 210, at only 2100$ it also runs on both 110 and 220

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
Professional specialty tig here. Get yourself a old syncro or new. I have a dynasty 200 myself but wish i got the 350. I bought a miller 350 push pull for heavy aluminum. So the 200 suits me well. Go Miller or Lincoln, Spend the extra coin for a machine that will last your lifetime.
As in Gas. I use Straight Argon 95% of the time. And get your gas from a local welding supply store not HF.
Also get yourself a quality helmet, Got to be able to see what your doing

Last edited:

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
OK, you guys are convincing me; I'll look more at the Synchrowave.

Talk to your local welding supply. I would just get the bottles from them for ease of exchange. As for the welder you're looking at, I don't know. For similar power, you could also look at a Tweco Fabricator 211. Or for a little more coin step up to a Tweco 252.

OK, everyone's saying what I was thinking; get tanks and supplies locally; I actually prefer that. I'd also like to buy the welder there too.

The Tweco Fabricator is quite a bit less than the device I'm looking at. But it's DC only, so no TIG aluminum. It does have MIG built in, though. I understand that Tweco is somehow related to Thermal Arc in some way. Same for the 252. I'm looking up Tweco, if they have a TIG/Stick device for aluminum, it might be a better choice.

Tweco is good made by victor. Everlast is junk and have fun with them actually warranting it when it breaks. Htp is thr best cheap brand you can buy, very popular in Europe made in Italy. If you have enough power than just buy an older miller syncrowave. Nothing wrong with older machines other than power requirements. As i am a professional welder i have heard so many horror stories on cheap machines.

Most places will not fill other company's bottles so definitely check first. Also filling a larger cylinder is much cheaper than an 80 c.f. tank.

Thanks for the comeback; I've read the stories about the cheap welders, but it looks like the importer (they don't build them) is trying to support their product better; the welder's been out for 4 years. Not 30 or 40 as Hobart/Miller/Esab/Lincoln though, and everything I've read is to overbuy your welder and you'll only have to buy it once.

Check out the new syncrowave 210, at only 2100$ it also runs on both 110 and 220

Everyone raves on the Synchrowave, but I've only got 30 amps at the wall at 240, and would like something that takes up less room. I'll look again, though. Maybe I need to head off some preconceptions on transformer welders.

Professional specialty tig here. Get yourself a old syncro or new. I have a dynasty 200 myself but wish i got the 350. I bought a miller 350 push pull for heavy aluminum. So the 200 suits me well. Go Miller or Lincoln, Spend the extra coin for a machine that will last your lifetime.
As in Gas. I use Straight Argon 95% of the time. And get your gas from a local welding supply store not HF.
Also get yourself a quality helmet, Got to be able to see what your doing

Thanks for the advice; the Miller Diversion 180 is right there in price, but it doesn't have frequency control and AC balance. Looks to be really friendly to a novice, though. For a beginner that may be the best choice-particularly since all local welding supply houses can get them.

How often does FC or AC balance get used in your world; I know the Dynasty has it.

OK, have looked into the Synchrowave, it is an inverter type welder, and draws less from the wall than the other smaller ones do. 12 amps at full output...Hmmm. It has A/C balance and frequency control. It's kind of portable. Well, tougher to steal, anyway. It also spec's that it can do 1/4 inch aluminum where the others spes 3/16".

$2500.00, though...Plus tanks.

I'll have to see when the local retailer is running a promo on Miller devices...That might be the best way to go. Might be willing to do a package deal...

Thanks guys.

Mike

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Thanks, it's looking like that's probably my best bet. And if I go this way, I won't easily outgrow it.

On another note, how would I go about getting Argon?

I see on Airgas's site that a size 200 tank goes for $82.00 http://airgas.com/p/AR 200

I assume I buy the tank first, or does that include it?

Thanks folks!

I believe the new symcrsyncrowave 210 isn't a transformer it's a inverter type unit, its not a huge unit either it's their hd hobbyist welder brand new.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/product.php?model=M00488

A little more then you want to spend but I guarantee this will out perform and out last the others you mentioned.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Should be able to go to airgas and rent one for cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread