evo ix vs. bmw z4 m

bmfgsxr

Established Member
i just left the gas station after filling up to the brim and i am turning towards home right behind a 2006/2007 bmw z4 m coupe. i saw it was a younger guy driving and he eyeballed the evo as we both turned on the road. we are right behind an older blazer going slow, but he nailed it a couple times while we were following so i knew he wanted to play.

we get to a spot where the blazer was turning off and there was empty road ahead of us and i knew he was going to go for it so as soon as the blazer turned he jumped on it and i followed. i made up the slight gap he had by being in front and taking off first and i stayed on his ass until we got up to another stop light. luckily for us we were the front two cars here with no other cars turning up the road so as the light turned green we had to turn left onto the open road and he went for it. he had a slight jump by being in front again but i made up that gap and stayed on his ass. although im guessing he had a paddle shift setup in this car because every time i shifted from 3-5th i lost a slight bit of ground on him, and i can shift fast as a mofo. but i kept on his tail until 5th then he pulled slowly until my revs built up then i kept the gap pretty consistant. i was probably 2.5 cars back from just shifting to 5th. 5th is pretty tall in the evo and the revs drop considerably. we probably ran up to about 120-125ish then backed off as some slower cars were up ahead.. now this isnt just a straight road either, its up and down with a couple twisty sections. i was on him like glue through the twisties as well and i could have passed him if it was a road course. anyhow, i ended up passing him at the next passing zone and as i went to turn into my road we gave thumbs up.. it was a cool looking car, and apparently they are rated at 330hp with a 1/4mile of about 13.3@105mph. the evo ix is rated at 289hp and 12.9@106 in the 1/4. so the awd launch would have been worth a little distance if we ran from a dig, but once going from a roll it was pretty even. i wouldnt consider it a kill or a death, but just some good fun.

Tman

Established Member
Nice run!! I almost bought the 07 Z4 M conv. but backed out of deal waiting what the new skyline would be. Nice car you got there!:beer:

bmfgsxr

Established Member
thanks man. i miss my L, but i do love the evo. stock for now, but im itching for more boost.. stock boost is 20.3lbs peak with taping to about 16 i believe. the taper kills me so a good tune with a boost controller and a full tbe will put this car into the low 12's with trap speeds around 114ish in the 1/4. it will be a whole new animal then.

Common

Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
thanks man. i miss my L, but i do love the evo. stock for now, but im itching for more boost.. stock boost is 20.3lbs peak with taping to about 16 i believe. the taper kills me so a good tune with a boost controller and a full tbe will put this car into the low 12's with trap speeds around 114ish in the 1/4. it will be a whole new animal then.

I saw an evo run 12.2 at 131mph:shrug: , nice 60foot and all but was just takin forever to shift, looked like the car had too much power, like you cant even get it in gear that easily.

DouBLeJ16

Roadkill Lurker
Established Member
Tman said:
Nice run!! I almost bought the 07 Z4 M conv. but backed out of deal waiting what the new skyline would be. Nice car you got there!:beer:

I can't wait to see what the new skyline will be.. So many rumors about the engine going around it's hard to believe anything.

To the OP, good race.. Those M Z4's coupe's are pretty fast. There is one down at the local 1/8th mile that puts a pretty good hurting on my 350Z.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
thanks guys..

and the new skyline looks badass i hope it actually gets here someday.

evo connevo, yes i have the 5 spd.. not exactly sure where i was shifting but it was probably around 6700 rpms. i was going by ear so im not sure. but i dont bother going up to 7k because with the boost taper it loses a little gusto up there.

fusionchicken

Established Member
good run. with him being right in front of you he probably took care of some aero issue for you, which is pretty considerable since the Evo's coefficient of drag is that of a brick's.

stock for stock an e46 m3 can walk an Evo IX after 80mph, and the z4m walks the m3 pretty well from what i've seen, i hang with some euro car guys sometimes.

z4m only comes in 6spd as well, you were probably losing ground because the z4m has much longer gears than our Evo's...

my IX has 330whp, been itching to run a z4m but none of them ever instigates :D

bmfgsxr

Established Member
good info man.. your right though, i was in his draft which im sure helped me.. but as i said i lost some ground when i hit 5th. although not much, and after i built up some rpms it stayed pretty consistant. considering they are rated at 330hp i think my stock 286hp evo did alright.. but from the sounds of it i shouldnt have done as well. (i knew i was shifting like a freak of nature. ;) )

ill just wait for winter time to come and ill smoke everyone. muhahahaha ;)

Last edited:

evo connevo

Established Member
Our 5th sucks, thats why I finish out 4th to 7800 if I plan on going into 5th. That way, I am 120-125 before I start boosting in 5th. Thats only happened like 3 times though. I need to race more.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
evo connevo id have to get a tune and my limiter raised before i run it up that high, but i would if i had the tune, etc..

04gtstang, im sure with 479 to the wheels it wasnt too hard to enforce that no flyby zone rule. ;)

fusionchicken

Established Member
evo connevo said:
Our 5th sucks, thats why I finish out 4th to 7800 if I plan on going into 5th. That way, I am 120-125 before I start boosting in 5th. Thats only happened like 3 times though. I need to race more.

for us IX owners our 4th gear is not as long as your VIII's 5spd...:(

Users who are viewing this thread