Excess play in the drive shaft?

03Slither

Established Member
Excess play in the drive shaft is causing a clanking noise?
Any idea what’s causing this? My car has only 6k miles on it.

Thanks

racebronco2

Established Member
It's the combined tolerances of the tranny and the rearend, most of the gears are set-up on the loose side . If it is the driveshaft you need to replace your u-joints asap.

Juruense

Banned
Mustangs have noisy drivetrains. They clunk, etc. As you get better at driving the car the noise will diminish.

03Slither

Established Member
I changed my IRS bushings, upgraded the IRS bolts, installed new springs and had subframes welded in last year. Don’t think it has anything to do with the IRS.

It definitely has some thing to do with the excess play in the drive shaft.

I didn’t have this noise last year when I put the car in storage.

I am probably not explaining it right. I can rotate the drive shaft about a ½” clockwise and counter clockwise and duplicate the noise.

thanks

2814v

Established Member
racebronco2 said:
It's the combined tolerances of the tranny and the rearend, most of the gears are set-up on the loose side . If it is the driveshaft you need to replace your u-joints asap.

racebronco2, I just watched your road race vids for the first time. Sir, you can drive, but what were you driving?

racebronco2

Established Member
04 comp orange cobra set-up for open track with coil-overs, k-member, aluminum block, running about 450rwhp and yes on kuhmo mx street tires.

Users who are viewing this thread