Excessive Motorsports

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
I just called excessive motorsports in Manasses, VA quick to see how much they would get to weld a bung into my midpipe. He asked what I needed it for, and I told him for dyno runs to monitor A/F, possibly for a gauge at some point (with wideband O2 sensor), for XCal2 datalogging with LM-1 at some point maybe, and also for street tuning purposes with a wideband O2. He said that when they do their dynos there, they use a sniffer in the tailpipes, and that it is very accurate. I said "really, after the cats?" He said "yup, we compared it to an LM-1 that was before the cats and it was maybe 0.1 difference. I was surprised to hear this, because from what I heard here, it could be more like 0.5 or worse difference. Anyway, I told him I still wanted the bung, and he told me it would be roughly $110 to do it, if I wanted in a place where they had to remove the midpipe. Wow! Way too much! I'm just calling and getting some prices from all over, and so far, Midas is the cheapest with a rough quote of 1 hr at $80/hr.

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
I just got one done yesterday for 40 here in MD, and they supplied the bung. Took all of 15 mins.. You're getting ripped off..

They did it with the pipe on the car on a lift, and didn't even wait for the car to cool, just put on some gloves and went to work..

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Why is it some places insist on trying to prove the customer wrong? It sounds like you clearly told whoever you spoke with at Excessive that you wanted a bung to monitor a/f on the street. Yet, it sounds like he was trying to say you dont need one or it was a waste of time and money. First of all, its the customers time and money and if thats what the customer wants, there should be no questions asked, period! I've always heard good things about Excessive but they get -1 in my book now, $110 to weld a bung, give me a break! :kaboom:

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Miamifan1354 said:
I just got one done yesterday for 40 here in MD, and they supplied the bung. Took all of 15 mins.. You're getting ripped off..

They did it with the pipe on the car on a lift, and didn't even wait for the car to cool, just put on some gloves and went to work..
Where was this? Address/phone number? Thanks.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Hissssnsvt said:
Why is it some places insist on trying to prove the customer wrong? It sounds like you clearly told whoever you spoke with at Excessive that you wanted a bung to monitor a/f on the street. Yet, it sounds like he was trying to say you dont need one or it was a waste of time and money. First of all, its the customers time and money and if thats what the customer wants, there should be no questions asked, period! I've always heard good things about Excessive but they get -1 in my book now, $110 to weld a bung, give me a break! :kaboom:
I've heard only good things from a couple different people and that is why I called. And yes, that is exactly what he was trying to do: 1) Prove me wrong, and 2) Change my mind about even wanting the bung at all. -1 in my book also, although I may use them for the dyno. I'm not trying to knock them or anything, I will give them another shot sometime simply because of the reviews I have heard from others, but I didn't like the way I was treated this time.

Anyone know any details about the sniffer's accuracy though? I've never heard of reading A/F after the cats being 99% as accurate as before.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Their tailpipe sniffer can be and more then likely is calibrated to be within 0.1 of a LM-1 before the cats but thats not the point here. Your asking for a bung so you can monitor your own a/f and not have to pay to use their sniffer on a dyno.

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
If the shop calibrates the sniffer, It should be fine. Mine has always been done with a sniffer. The shop I go to has a LM-1, but rarely uses it. He calibrates the sniffer to the LM-1 weekly, so the readings are accurate with the sniffer. A bung would be nice though, for the datalogging you have forementioned.

J.R.

Almo

Established Member
pj_rage said:
I just called excessive motorsports in Manasses, VA quick to see how much they would get to weld a bung into my midpipe. He asked what I needed it for, and I told him for dyno runs to monitor A/F, possibly for a gauge at some point (with wideband O2 sensor), for XCal2 datalogging with LM-1 at some point maybe, and also for street tuning purposes with a wideband O2. He said that when they do their dynos there, they use a sniffer in the tailpipes, and that it is very accurate. I said "really, after the cats?" He said "yup, we compared it to an LM-1 that was before the cats and it was maybe 0.1 difference. I was surprised to hear this, because from what I heard here, it could be more like 0.5 or worse difference. Anyway, I told him I still wanted the bung, and he told me it would be roughly $110 to do it, if I wanted in a place where they had to remove the midpipe. Wow! Way too much! I'm just calling and getting some prices from all over, and so far, Midas is the cheapest with a rough quote of 1 hr at $80/hr.

That's what they charge and will do it right by taking the mid-pipe off and welding completely around the bung.

That’s about like me calling up Job Spetter for a tune; then turn around and asking Herman for the same; after hearing that Spetter will be more expensive, I head to SVTP to bitch about the prices. :nonono:

Last edited:

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Well don't worry about his bitching. Most of us get ours welded in for half of that $110.00...and my guy took the mid pipe down and everything..to make sure he did it right. I think he was more ...is this right to weld a bung in? Honestly if you don't really know...when you look at that little bung..your like why does it cost a $110.00 to put a hole in my exhaust..stick this in and weld it. Mine took all of 30 minutes...but, that was with BS...So..I think he was more checking price than bitching but, even if he was so be it...

And really what about gas prices? WTF? They are high as hell...not that I am complaining cause of the car..just because it's BS.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Almo said:
That's what they charge and will do it right by taking the mid-pipe off and welding completely around the bung.

That’s about like me calling up Job Spetter for a tune; then turn around and asking Herman for the same; after hearing that Spetter will be more expensive, I head to SVTP to bitch about the prices. :nonono:
You are partly missing the point.

My post's intention was to question the accuracy of a tailpipe sniffer, because I wasn't sure. Also, I wanted to fill others in on the attitude of this performance shop.

Although I have no doubt they perform top quality work, their quote was about 50% more than other shops in the area, and I figured I would note that also. I didn't think I was bitching, I was simply giving everyone some information. :shrug:

Thanks for the tailpipe sniffer info guys, it makes sense that if they can calibrate it to a wideband sensor that is before the cat, that it would provide equally as good results. I forgot to mention that the guy from excessive first said that "most people who go on the dyno just remove a rear O2 sensor to put in a sensor, since they don't do anything anyway" and I had questioned this, saying that I had cats that I thought would affect the reading. This is when he mentioned that they also use the sniffer.

TRBO VNM

I got 2 done for $90 at Amazon when they were here. $110 is a rip off, nuff said. go somewhere else and I don't buy the sniffer stuff at all. and you can't do street tuning with a sniffer safely.

Users who are viewing this thread