excessive tranny noise? help please

needmoreboost

boost is my anti-drug
Established Member
currious about a noise im hearing from my tranny. When i go from R to D or vice versa a noise is made that sounds i guess like a heat shield rattling... and the engine revs slightly.. is this how its supposed to be or could this be a possible issue?
I bought the truck saturday from a reputable new car dealership. So they generally make sure that their used vehicles are in pretty solid mechanical condition right? Ive been in other automatic vehicles that dont seem to do that, could it be just that the SVTs have a beefed up tranny and thats what causes this behaviour? sorry for question but id really appreciate any feedback so i know if i need to worry or not. thanks guys.:shrug:

edit: Other than this the truck runs fine great response and no other odd signs. Other than this odd noise everything seems perfect. thanks again for any help.

Last edited:

mifordman

Established Member
there really isnt enought info............i know every time i go from drive to reverse or park the truck slightly revs up...maybe 100 rpm......just for the split second it isnt in gear.....if that is the case there probably isnt anything wrong with it.

needmoreboost

boost is my anti-drug
Established Member
yeah it revs up about that much. Im probably just being paranoid but it definately sounds like a rattle, but when truck is in park and i rev it slightly it doesnt make that noise, only when i put it in reverse or drive.
But it doesnt do that in other gears shifts fine and smooth, but if i go from park to either drive or reverse the noise is there and it only lasts a second.. really odd but i guess ill have to look and hope its a heatshield.... if not any thoughts or possible issues?

thanks

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
The first thing I would do is take it to an independent shop. Put it on a rack and see were the noise is coming from. It does not sound ike a trans problem to me. I would guess heat shield or exhaust, but I would get it checked.

SVT99RED

Established Member
I had the same problem, so what I did was started the truck stuck my wife in it and got under it. with it on stands and had her put in gear until I found where the heat shields were rubbing. then I put a piece of cardbord between where it was rubbing and the bottom of the cab.

Users who are viewing this thread