Exedy / Circle D 6r80 Stage 2 Upgrades

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thought I would share a pic of the stage 2 clutch upgrade from Exedy.

We previously tested the stage 1 upgrades from exedy. The stage 1's really are designed to help release heat from the clutches, they aren't really designed for more hp / torque holding capacity. But, if your wearing out the trans on say an n/a or a base boost kit, this could be a nice upgrade.

The stage 1 upgrades are an easier install as well. We were able to do them in house at my crew chiefs shop, Finish Line Performance. Brian was a trans tech by trade for years though, I wouldn't have just anyone rip your trans apart. If they have experience, they should be able to perform the upgrade.

For the stage 2 upgrades, we sent the trans to Kyle @ Circle D transmissions. Exedy provided him with the stage 2 upgrades to install in the transmission.

The stage 2's should be good for abour 40% more holding capacity. To get the extra 40% holding capacity. Machining to the drums needs to be done.

Kyle mentioned he had a 2nd transmission there for testing as well, but he was waiting on parts for it.

When I asked him why, he mentioned some scarring and bearing issues. I told him it sounded like the exact same problem that I had with mine last year.

Here are the pics that he sent me, I can't find mine, but they were pretty much identical.

trans1.jpg

trans2.jpg

trans3.jpg

I had originally thought maybe the 1 piece driveshaft may be partially to blame. However, after doing the stage 1 upgrades, we swapped back to the stock driveshaft. Kyle told me you could already see the support bearing wearing out again on the trans.

Below are some pics of the before and after clutch packs / drums.

OEM Left packs, Exedy Stage 2 Right packs

Kyle also made improvements to the support bearing, and a lube mod as well, but at this time, the pics are not to be made public. I imagine it will be proprietary to Circle D.

circled.jpg

I should have the trans back tomorrow. I'll keep you updated on how it feels.

11dsgGT

Established Member
Could the scarring of caused damage to the bearings? It doesnt look too bad but could have been a lot worse, left unchecked.

With the 1 piece drive-shaft you think it could of the pinion angel?

Hope it feels smooth when you get it back in there!

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Could the scarring of caused damage to the bearings? It doesnt look too bad but could have been a lot worse, left unchecked.

With the 1 piece drive-shaft you think it could of the pinion angel?

Hope it feels smooth when you get it back in there!

My original thought on the driveshaft was with the 2 piece, you are straight in and out of the trans. with the one piece, maybe, some binding could be going on,

the pinion was set perfect though, no vibration.

my guy and kyle are still a little stumped. but, kyle also thought because of the tight tolerances, and the bearing wearing, that could be the start of the issue, and then causing the rest of the trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread