Exedy Mach 500 question

TRMach1

Established Member
Just purchased one of these for my 2013. I haven't took the trans apart yet but decided that I would ask before I did in case anyone has done the exact same clutch that way they can help me out. On the brief instructions that comes in the box it says "When using the Exedy clutch kit with the OEM flywheel you will only use the most outer 2 bolts to mount the pressure plate". What exactly does it mean by that? Doesn't the pressure plate have 6 bolts?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

silverhorse_197

Established Member
i have the same clutch in mine , but i also used an Exedy Light weight flywheel. The pressure plate has different sets of holes, but i agree , all 6 bolts will need to be installed . BTW If you swap out your roller bearing .. Youtube the bread method .. I had a slider tool and 25 mins later it never even moved . Stuffed it full of bread and used an old 1/2" extention to drive it out ...took like 3 mins.

I just hit 1500 miles with mine and i love it . Smooth on take offs , Clutch pedal lightened up some , but at stop lights i choose to let it sit in neutral so my leg don't get tired. id say its 40-60% stiffer than the oem clutch .. i'm pushing 535hp out of my supercharged 4.6 and their is no slip at all ...

TRMach1

Established Member
i have the same clutch in mine , but i also used an Exedy Light weight flywheel. The pressure plate has different sets of holes, but i agree , all 6 bolts will need to be installed . BTW If you swap out your roller bearing .. Youtube the bread method .. I had a slider tool and 25 mins later it never even moved . Stuffed it full of bread and used an old 1/2" extention to drive it out ...took like 3 mins.

I just hit 1500 miles with mine and i love it . Smooth on take offs , Clutch pedal lightened up some , but at stop lights i choose to let it sit in neutral so my leg don't get tired. id say its 40-60% stiffer than the oem clutch .. i'm pushing 535hp out of my supercharged 4.6 and their is no slip at all ...

Yeah the instructions are a little weird on that. Guess I'll have to call them once I get it off. Nice! Glad you like it, that's what I want to hear. Bread method? I'll definitely YouTube that, thanks! Sounds interesting.

JDos1

Established Member
Pedal feel is very similar to oem on the Coyote cars (guy above has 4.6 so it may be different). I'd say 10% stiffer if that.
Clutch engages very well. It's a major difference.

Pedal effort is very minimal when you're high in the RPMs. The pedal just wants to fall to the floor with just a slight touch which is excellent. Makes quick shifting that much easier.

I've got 30k miles on mine now. No issues. Wish I wouldve installed it sooner.

TRMach1

Established Member
Pedal feel is very similar to oem on the Coyote cars (guy above has 4.6 so it may be different). I'd say 10% stiffer if that.
Clutch engages very well. It's a major difference.

Pedal effort is very minimal when you're high in the RPMs. The pedal just wants to fall to the floor with just a slight touch which is excellent. Makes quick shifting that much easier.

I've got 30k miles on mine now. No issues. Wish I wouldve installed it sooner.

Awesome! What about chatter? Did you get any of that?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Will have to try the bread trick when it comes time to swap the clutch on mine. I had heard about it before, but could never do it on LS1/6 cars I have had, always rented a blind hole puller. GM puts a plug behind the pilot bearing and if you try that trick, it could possibly get pushed in.

Mark Aubele

Established Member
How about shifting near 8000rpm? I know I am going to end up with an RST or RSX just like everyone else but I'm still holding out hope for a single disc.

JDos1

Established Member
Will have to try the bread trick when it comes time to swap the clutch on mine. I had heard about it before, but could never do it on LS1/6 cars I have had, always rented a blind hole puller. GM puts a plug behind the pilot bearing and if you try that trick, it could possibly get pushed in.
I just rented a pilot bearing puller from the auto parts store. Worked just fine.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Just purchased one of these for my 2013. I haven't took the trans apart yet but decided that I would ask before I did in case anyone has done the exact same clutch that way they can help me out. On the brief instructions that comes in the box it says "When using the Exedy clutch kit with the OEM flywheel you will only use the most outer 2 bolts to mount the pressure plate". What exactly does it mean by that? Doesn't the pressure plate have 6 bolts?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

The 2012 GT's have a stock flywheel with 8 or 9 bolts to the secure the pressure plate to the flywheel. The older 2011 style has a less bolt holes, but anyways you'll need several less bolts to mount the exedy pressure plate to the oem flywheel. Also, the dowels for the exedy PP are a different size.

TRMach1

Established Member
None. That was one thing I really didn't want and I don't have any fortunately.

Awesome! That's what I'm hoping for.

The 2012 GT's have a stock flywheel with 8 or 9 bolts to the secure the pressure plate to the flywheel. The older 2011 style has a less bolt holes, but anyways you'll need several less bolts to mount the exedy pressure plate to the oem flywheel. Also, the dowels for the exedy PP are a different size.

Hm, interesting I guess I'll find out this weekend. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread