Exhaust dilemma, Please give me some input from your experience.

Fran

Established Member
Here is my problem:

I have Manaflows now, should I

1) Buy the Catted SLP or Catted Magnaflow xpipe. Never heard the SLP with maggies but is SS and is cheaper. Would the SLP sound like the UPR since it is the same style?

2) Ditch the maggies and go with flows, Delta flows or super 40's. The mid pipe would probably be the catted PC. How much do the Super 40 or Delta flows drone? I heard the original 40's drone real bad.

Thanks for any help on this.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It's all in taste and mine differs from most. I would never own a off road h-pipe. I hate the sound and heard you loose torque due to zero back pressure. I have the bassani x-pipe on both my GT and Cobra and I love them. As far as cat backs I have the Borla Stingers on my GT and love the loud aggressive sound but want something more tame for the Cobra and have magnaflows. Its taste so experience them all and take your pick-Shane

LeoGSVT

Banned
the maggies with an o/r X are freaking nasty MAN!!! ive got the stingers with an or x..and its loud and i like it, but im gunna swap and put the maggys on there...get a catted maggnaflow x pipe, and it will sound perfect..that setup won the exhaust sound off they had a while ago...let us know what you do..there are just soo many options

Hye

Established Member
Fran said:
Here is my problem:

I have Manaflows now, should I

1) Buy the Catted SLP or Catted Magnaflow xpipe. Never heard the SLP with maggies but is SS and is cheaper. Would the SLP sound like the UPR since it is the same style?

2) Ditch the maggies and go with flows, Delta flows or super 40's. The mid pipe would probably be the catted PC. How much do the Super 40 or Delta flows drone? I heard the original 40's drone real bad.

Thanks for any help on this.

1.) Why not just stay brand loyal and just get the Maggie Catted X pipe to complement your c/b.

2.) don't do flows. Again this is just my opinion but your maggies will outflow flows, stick with the magnaflow.

Sounds like your a little bored with the magnaflow c/b sound and want a little more grunt out of it. Try the catted x-pipe first. Chances are it'll be exactyl what your looking for. Stay away from o/r pipes, imo they are headache loud, especially if your cobra is a daily driver.

I swapped my maggie catback for a bassani c/b. Still have the stock midpipe. The sound is definitely deeper and a tad bit louder than my magnaflow. It's perfect! and I definitely love the sound over the maggies. I get way to many looks from everyone on the road and I still have the stock midpipe :eek:

good luck.

Fran

Established Member
You are right I am looking for a little more from the maggies. The mag x pipe is getting serious consideration. I still dont know if the SLP sounds different due to the different design. Does anybody know if the sound is different?

adamz1le28

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I also have a magnaflow c/b right now and am interested in a catted x-pipe. I suppose I should just stay loyal and get the magnaflow x-pipe with cats...everyone agree?

Anyone out there got a maggie c/b with another company's catted x-pipe and how does that combo sound?

Sound clips would be great. Thanks guys!

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
The best mid-pipe I've ever heard with the Maggie's is by far the prochamber. I forgot who's car it was but there's a vid on here of a guy tearing his cobra up out in front of Mustang Magic. His car sounded incredible!!!!!!

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
96stanggt said:
The best mid-pipe I've ever heard with the Maggie's is by far the prochamber. I forgot who's car it was but there's a vid on here of a guy tearing his cobra up out in front of Mustang Magic. His car sounded incredible!!!!!!

If it was a black car in the vid, he has MAC exhaust.

I have a Magnaflow catback and a Bassani x-pipe with cats, and I absolutely love the sound. I originally had a 3" Mac catback and it sounded raw and mean. Would recommend it, but I have become partial to the sleeperish sound of the maggie/bassani combo I switched to. Its really quiet and docile around town, but man, you get on it, and its extremely deep and loud. I have a few clips of it.... Let me find it.... Bah, shooot me a pm, and I'll see if I can send it to you.

Like I said before, the ONLY thing I can compare it to, is the Lamborghini Gallardo sitting in my parking complex. Its very exotic sounding, until you get on it and hear the v8 and blower wind up.

moonltgold

Fran said:
No one has a SLP catted X with the Magnaflows?

I now have the opposite (SLP muffs and Magnaflow catted x). A few thoughts of this if you are lowered: While the SLP X is a better design than the Mag X, it also hangs lower (cats) -- maybe 1/2". If your car is lowered over 1.5" like me, that's the difference between scaping more often or not. So I went with the Mag X pipe. On the contrary, the SLP LM1 muffs actually sits about 1/4" higher than the Magnaflow muffs (which I had and took off), and again I now scrape less.

The SLP also saves you weight: a single SLP LM1 weighs 3 lbs. and the Mag muff weighs 11 lbs., so you're saving 16 lbs. total with the two on there. Not a big deal, but why carry the extra weight if you don't have to?

As for HP gain, they are about the same. I saw no major difference on the dynos I ran back to back. (1-2 hp variance at most, which could be the dyno fluctuating).

Sound. That's a big difference. The SLP LM1 is very loud, especially the higher frequency stuff (kind of annoying), absolutely wicked over 3 grand. I decided to cut the high "tin" sound off by welding in straight-through baffles (used Harley Rinehardts) and they really cut off the high stuff. (Probably the equivalent of an SLP LM2 now). Anyhow, I now have very little popping and a very deep roar.

stangkid

Established Member
I have had a BBK o/r x-pipe and a Mac o/r h-pipe with my Flowmasters and hated them both cause it had a nasty high frequency popping sound i just installed my o/r Prochamber with my Flowmasters and i love the sound of it no more high frequency popping sound i now have a deep roar it kind of sounds like an old 5.0 car with and o/r pipe :rockon: :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread