Exhaust Dilemma, what to do?

noldevin

Established Member
So after going from stock headers and offroad h, to ARH 1-3/4 headers with offroad H, my Borla S-types tipped just over the scale into the annoyingly loud territory (mostly while cruising, who cares if its loud when you're wot right?). I've gotten to work with my left ear ringing and I hardly left 6th gear for the drive. To preserve my hearing, it needs to get quieter while cruising.

Here's a video :
[video=youtube;UMpJ0vicdeM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMpJ0vicdeM[/video]

So I decided to try some GT500s. They sound decent. Much quieter and more enjoyable while cruising. But they just lack that... Borla awesomeness... when you hit the gas. I don't think I'll be happy with them in the long run, they just don't bring a smile to my face like the Borlas do.

So there's my dilemma. Has anyone tried adding a bullet muffler or some other way to quiet things down? I cruise at 2200-2500 rpm (yay 3.73s and 75-80mph highways), so I'm a bit worried that it will just be too much for the bullets to help. I have a friend who tried doing similar with a louder setup and the bullets didn't do anything for him. Has anyone run Borla touring axlebacks with an offroad header setup? :??:

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Did you consider going with Borla Touring?

I am getting ready to put green cats on mine to tame it just a little and kill the smell, I think.

noldevin

Established Member
Did you consider going with Borla Touring?

I am getting ready to put green cats on mine to tame it just a little and kill the smell, I think.

I've been thinking about using the touring ones. But videos are hard to find, and used ones are also rarer to find.
I definitely don't want to add cats though, i like keeping that catless power.

Last edited:

stang910

Established Member
I have borla touring on my car. With longtubes and off road H they were perfect. A little quieter than the gt500 mufflers cruising, but pretty loud at WOT and they have a much deeper tone. I now have twins on the car and the touring mufflers still sound good just not quite loud enough.

noldevin

Established Member
I have borla touring on my car. With longtubes and off road H they were perfect. A little quieter than the gt500 mufflers cruising, but pretty loud at WOT and they have a much deeper tone. I now have twins on the car and the touring mufflers still sound good just not quite loud enough.

Good to hear, do you have any videos of your setup?

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Short of changing the whole catback, you could add something like our resonated X to it to bring the volume down a bit, while preserving the deep muscle car sound. If you have any questions about it, let us know!

1bca5d95-580d-43b7-80c7-d0c7a18ac97f_zpsr1kxqztp.png

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
OP you and stang910 should trade borla mufflers. He said his aren't loud enough to his liking yet and yours are too loud. May be a good idea idk.
As for which muffler i don't really have any experience with the off road h pipe and how it sounds compared to an off road x.

noldevin

Established Member
I have a set of the Ford Racing Touring axlebacks which should be very close to Borla Touring. I'll be putting those on today while I continue to try to fix a dragging rear brake issue.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I am EXTREMELY happy with the JBA system I have on my car. I run complete JBA from headers to tips with an off road H and the car sounds great. The exhaust is very moderate at idle and cruise with 0 drone on the highway. WOT is loud but it's nothing like your Borla's, Corsa's, etc. I took a chance with the JBA and it ended up being the perfect choice for me. Since you already have long tubes, no cats and the H, all you need is the cat-back.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/jba-2011-2014-mustang-3-stainless-steel-cat-back-system.html

[video=youtube;WssxSk8laNk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WssxSk8laNk[/video]
[video=youtube;vx0DD5BhXuk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx0DD5BhXuk[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread