Exhaust Help Please

DarkHalo

Established Member
Please help, im new here but i have a 2003 Cobra and i want to put exhaust on it im thinkin Bassani off Road X and either Flowmasters 40 Series or MaganaFlows. what is better, im lookin for loud but best performance as well. thanks :shrug:

SVT 03 Cobra

If you want performance stay away from flowmaster.... that has been posted on this forum many times... maybe try a search on "exhaust"

Jayson

Justin

Established Member
Do a search on exhaust. You will find that most people say that Flows sound real good, but not as much HP. Check into the QMP also.

Lobo

Established Member
40-series Flowmasters & o/r x-pipe Combo

I installed the 40 series a few months ago since I had to replace the stock mufflers with something that would at least allow me to hear if the car was running. I just swapped the mufflers and have to say it sounded GREAT, especially after a few thousand miles, when it really opened up. It wasn't the loudest though. Then I tried to get an o/r h-pipe, since everybody recommended to stay away from flowmaster + o/r x-pipe combos. Unfortunately, it seems like no manufacturer offers those in any form other than as shorties to go with long tube headers. Why that is is beyond me.

Anyways, I checked some boards including the review board on stangnet and it seemed like opinions where 50-50, people either liked the combo or hated it. Not much in between. I got the o/r x-pipe from UPR, slapped it on and WOW! I was in for a surprise. Yes, it does sound almost a bit too raspy. But it is L-O-U-D!! ANd the raspy sound only shows when I really hit the throttle. Normal acceleration just emits a VERY powerful sound. The part that I also like is that the rumble isn't entirely gone. It does sound like a pure race car now and has snapped quite a few necks during the short time it was on. The system also enhances the drone that I can't get enough of and chances are you'll like it, too if you're under 30. ;-)

Later I will most likely replace the catback with a Bassani to help with performance a bit and reduce the tin canny sound under WOT.

So if you want loud, don't mind a bit of a raspy NASCAR race car type sound without spending big bucks just swap the mufflers for 40 series and get the UPR x-pipe. Total cost should be somewhere around $400 if you have the mufflers welded in and install the x-pipe yourself.

If the bucks don't matter you might want to look into the QMP system as Justin already mentioned. It's supposed to be very loud once you take the replaceable cats out.

If you want the most obnoxious and loudest sound ever you'll have to add long tubes to that combo.

Lobo

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
40 Series do sound good though...

OH Man do they ever. I gave up a few HP just to have that sound.
It especially sounds sweet with a 3" H-pipe. Much deeper than an X...

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
i have a 99 cobra that i was thinkin about off road x, and 40 series flowmasters, cuz i love that flowmaster tone, i live in rural kansas, so its hard to compare, I like the obnoxious nascar like tones ive heard in the city, but what sound difference would there be between off road x and h pipes, thanks for any help,

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by Chris C
Anybody try a custom set from a exhaust shop???

how about a custom 3" exhaust from Quarter Mile Performance ?

OK, its not really custom manufactured but it was custom designed for our cars and there's enough people here with it to attest to its performance, and I can personally vouch for the quality of materials and workmanship

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
SPINTECH! best performance and sounds better than flows. I love my Magnaflows also but wish I went with the spintech setup

www.spintechmufflers.com

go the traditional route

then go to multimedia and look at the 2000 GT.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread