EXhaust Help

Sik03SVT

Established Member
Ok its 3am an im droppin my friend off at his car..an i notice im sitting in a lil water..so hes like hit it as you leave..i do, nothing big.then i continue to punch it a lil ways father..when i hear a loud noise..an my truck Sounds like a beast..Somehow my exhaust popped off...its still sorta attached..but the muffler isnt connected to the other pipes..1. how illegal is it to drive without a muffler..cause it sounds very mean..i luv it..2..am i gettin any performance..cause i swear my truck is a hellova lot faster..An 3.thats a warranty Claim Right?..i mean i wasnt doing anything really wrong an the truck only has 13k Miles..Thanx for your help..is there any way i could get the dealership to jus give me the cash for a new exhaust an get an aftermarket one put on?

Rainman15

Petey RIP 04/29/05
Established Member
)
Originally posted by Sik03SVT
is there any way i could get the dealership to jus give me the cash for a new exhaust an get an aftermarket one put on?
You got a better chance of waking up tomorrow in afganistan that getting a dealership to hand over money for you to mod with. :-D Just sounds like someone at SVT forgot to tighten the brackets. Easy fix. My .02 though, take this opportunity to take it off and go with a borla setup, or the silver bullet. Getting those two pipes apart where yours fell apart took a look of negotiating with a B.A.H. (big ass hammer;-) ) You'd be saving yourself some work.

Sik03SVT

Established Member
Ok this is what im doing..tomarrow a local exhaust shop..is gonna cut the pipe behind the muffler an then add some pipe to hook it up to where it fell off..so basically it'll look stock..but without a muffler?..think that'll give me any performance..running this "free flowing " exhaust..lol right now its off an i swear its faster...

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
When I picked up my Lightning it had stright pipes out the side, and I will tell you it sounded good but at idel after about five mins. or so It started to make a fart sound:shrug: I am not sure how much hp you will gain if any.

P.S.
I did like the sound but wish there was a muffler there and still have that bad ass sound. The previouse owner had it done and had some 3.5' tips out the side but were not chrome. Good luck you will need the muffler if you have state inspecitons.

Sik03SVT

Established Member
Thanx..yeah i'll still have the chrome stock tips..an tha fart noise..i dont know y..but it happens in the 1st to 2nd shift..i think its that pressure which blew off my pipes..i think it happens on all lightnings..cause my friends 03 does it too..can i add a supercharger bov to get rid of it?..i thought adding or removing exhaust would get rid of the fart..but it happens even with the muff removed...an im in Az.so no real checks..but even with emmission states...its not a big problem not having a muffler..there are soo many 02 sensors an cats high up..it doesnt make much of a difference

jacslx

Established Member
Dude,

this may sound Jerry rigged, Redneckish but i dont care what you call it, I love the sound my L makes with the Modified Stock Muffler. Yes I modified my Sock Muffler. Let me tell you what I did. Others may have done it too. I took off my Stock Muffler, opened it up from 1 inch above the seam to aobut mid way with a hack saw, used a BAH to beat the baffles out. Had a shop weld the muffler back. BAM! you have a Homemade Flowmaster type muffler. Sounds BAD ass at WOT. Nice grumble when cruising. Noticeable grumble at ilde and no performance lose. I took pics of my Setup, if you want them, Email me [email protected] and ill send em to you so you can refrence. if you want to do this instead of buying a $400 exhaust. Or untill you can save up $400.

Jacs

Users who are viewing this thread