Exhaust leak question

orlo

Established Member
Hi guys,

So for the past few weeks, I've been hearing this ticking noise from my car when I'm driving close to a median or other sound reflective surface. It's not noticeable when driving in an open area. Anyway, the motor itself sounds perfectly normal, so I thought it might be something caught in my tires or an exhaust leak, etc.

Well today I started her up and took a look under the car. At the connection between my h-pipe and the catback, there was a plume of exhaust gas bellowing out, as well as a pool of gas forming on the floor below. Being a mechanical noob, I wanted to ask you guys if this sounds about right for an exhaust leak and if this leak could be responsible for the ticking noise I've been hearing?

Does this sound like something a chain auto shop could repair with a new gasket?

Thanks for the help!

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
between the h pipe and cat-back there are no gaskets, only bolts/nuts...

put the car on a lift or jack stands and get that connection between those pipes to fit tighter ... its possible you rubbed a speed bump or something and caused alittle movement which created a leak... the noise could be coming from there but who knows

30 minutes of your time and you can fix that leak or at least illiminate that area as the issue

orlo

Established Member
Yep, definitely a leak at the ball and socket joint. I bottomed out a few times and that probably caused it. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread