Exhaust question

00GT&03L

MOTOR CITY
Established Member
I have an 03 Mach 1 with a boss 5.0l stroked and Crower Stage 3 blower cams. Currently I have full Bassani from the headers back. I love the sound but didn’t see a huge difference when the cams were added. I have read that for whatever reason the Bassani doesn’t sound great with cams. While I have really liked the current setup I would like something with an even deeper tone. Was reading that Borla Stingers sound good with my setup but haven’t seen a great video to make up my mind.

Any recommendations to get that super deep lopey exhaust. Thanks!

GodStang

Established Member
Could just be the Crowers. I have the same cams as yours and everyone says my car sounds like it is stock. I ran Bassani for awhile, then JBA, and now a custom setup. None have that hard thump like a custom cam or a Comp Stage III.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
cam timing is optimized for blower cam profiles...blower cams aren't going to have much overlap between intake/exhaust valve events i.e. when both valves are open near the end of the exhaust stroke, cam profiles with a lot of overlap tend to lope/chop pretty hard...Too much overlap in a blower car would be no good, having intk/exh valves both open too long would just result in blowing your fresh air charge out the exhaust... more overlap helps exhaust scavenging on an NA car, it's not need as much on an FI car.

EDIT: If you really want to hear it, could probably have your tuner lower the idle, play with timing a little, should give you a little more chop...or just pull the vacuum line from the brake booster :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread