Exhaust Question

2la8iwon

Established Member
As some of you might know, I recently Installed my MRT catted hpipe. well i have had this on for about a week now and I am thinking it is to loud.I think it sounds great at WOT I love it but when iam just crusing around or have my wife in the car the drone it makes is way to much i cant stand it and i love loud exhaust systems. I have this with borla stingers and the hpipe. Is there anything i can do to fix this. I was think about changing the exhaust to maybe a Bassani or do all exhaust systems on our cars have the drone and you have to live with it. opinions would be appreciated.
thanks
John

TRBO VNM

I can't offer much, but I know the Borla are pretty damn loud. I am surprised at the drone with a catted pipe. Then again I haven't heard a lot of different combo's. I think the best I have heard so far is the magnaflow catback and magnaflow catted xpipe. I think this is what I put on cobra330's car and I thought it sounded great at idle and WOT, I never rode in it for cruising.

if you decide to change catbacks, please let me know. I am looking for a borla kit. I have another model borla that I think is the only one out there. Borla was making a system for Amazon to be quieter than the stinger and they got the prototype, but never went through with production that I know of. I bought this from amazon off their car.

anyway, I hope someone else might have info for you.

dkscobra2003

Flying For A Living
Established Member
I have the MRT-H with the Magnaflow Catback. No drone...Sounds good to me. Quiet at Idle...WOT...sounds plenty loud to me. There are many out there with some killer exhaust notes!!!! :shrug:

2la8iwon

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
maybe it is the catback that is causing it. wonder what no cats would sound like.
it would sound insane loud. just to give you an idea. I used to have a 01 gt and i had off road hpipe and 40 series flowmaster and i thought that sounded awesome. this has that beat.
maybe a i will hang out in the exhaust forums for a couple of days see if i can learn anything .

TRBO VNM

2la8iwon said:
it would sound insane loud. just to give you an idea. I used to have a 01 gt and i had off road hpipe and 40 series flowmaster and i thought that sounded awesome. this has that beat.
maybe a i will hang out in the exhaust forums for a couple of days see if i can learn anything .

do some searches and then ask some questions. search for some sound clips as well. if you do decide on a different catback, let me know as I would be happy to take the stingers off your hands. :beer:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
2la8iwon said:
Or John, you can just come to one of our next GTG's and get to hear about 20 different setups all in one afternoon......That's how alot of us ended up deciding.

mixxer

Established Member
i have full magnaflow catted X ,and cat back. to me its perfect-at idle its almost as quite as stock but when you drive it sounds awesome,and at wot it really sounds good,and when your cruising the drone is not loud and annoying. im going to get grasshopper to make an exhast clip for me next time i see him.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
I just did MAC LT's w/ a ProChamber(no cats) and that cured the interior exhaust drone problem I was having with the Bassani X-pipe(no cats) after the rear seat delete went in.

I would suggest either a different catback(magnaflow) or keep the Stingers and go with a different mid-pipe (magnaflow catted x-pipe) if your current setup is too loud for you. I am in no way affiliated with Magnaflow, they just make damn good stuff.

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
I was in the same boat you are. I recently installed an o/r X and paired with the Magnapacks sounded evil, but just too damn loud. You had to scream at each other to hold a conversation in the car and I thought the sound was a little poppy. I just recently re-installed my Maggi catted X and all is good again. Still sounds great, deeper sound and not as poppy and the interior noise is tolerable. :)

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
All I have is the Borla catback. I thought all Borlas are the stingers and I know Jason has the one built for Amazon but I am not sure if there are any other type of Borla for the Cobra. I thought Borla only has the stingers. I have the stock H with it but I am considering a a swap on mid pipes . I love the sound of the Borla but on long trips at constant speeds you can feel the drone a bit, but for around town sound great and I have recieved many compliments on it. I will be cheking the differents combos on the next GTG before I decide..

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
...magnaflow catback and magnaflow catted xpipe. I think this is what I put on cobra330's car and I thought it sounded great at idle and WOT, I never rode in it for cruising...

This is the set up I had before. It was nice for cruising, not too loud and it had a nice sound at WOT. Now... I am just a tad bit louder (magnapacks & O/R X)and as Gerry said... "It sounds fast" Now if I can only get it to BE fast :shrug:

TRBO VNM

jbp99cobra said:
This is the set up I had before. It was nice for cruising, not too loud and it had a nice sound at WOT. Now... I am just a tad bit louder (magnapacks & O/R X)and as Gerry said... "It sounds fast" Now if I can only get it to BE fast :shrug:

that was freaking classic. there we all were BS'ing and john starts up the car. rev's it a few times to make sure the leak was gone. shuts it off and all you hear from the corner of the garage with 2 Terminators and john with his 99, "at least is sounds fast". nice gerry, nice. :lol:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I'll trade you my magnaflow catted x pipe for the MRT? There's your fix right there, lol. Seriously, I love the sound of my exhaust. Sometimes it's a bit loud but I quickly get over it.

micksnip

Established Member
I have the Stingers-no aftermkt X or H, as I have 2 yrs left on the warranty. I love the sound, wife loves it, too, and she'd be the 1st one to tell you when she's annoyed (about anything-for the last 26 years). HOWEVER, being originally fron PA, home of salt on the roads-induced rust, every vehicle I've had since my 81 F150 4X4 gets the undercoat/rustproof/sound insulation treatment. Apple Ford had a great deal (3 or 400)when I bought my baby a year ago-all the above mentioned, and inside the doors, so it isn't filled with gooopy, stinky black spray, they use a clear kind of spray. I noticed the diff before and after-road noise was diminished and the car "felt" more solid. Perhaps that may be your solution, and RAYZCAR is the manager of the detail department there-he has a built white Whippled vert and is a MACA member also. Maybe at least talk with him? You may have to yell, cause I think he runs open headers, so loud isn't an issue for him.
Micksnip/Mike

2la8iwon

Established Member
micksnip said:
I have the Stingers-no aftermkt X or H, as I have 2 yrs left on the warranty. I love the sound, wife loves it, too, and she'd be the 1st one to tell you when she's annoyed (about anything-for the last 26 years). HOWEVER, being originally fron PA, home of salt on the roads-induced rust, every vehicle I've had since my 81 F150 4X4 gets the undercoat/rustproof/sound insulation treatment. Apple Ford had a great deal (3 or 400)when I bought my baby a year ago-all the above mentioned, and inside the doors, so it isn't filled with gooopy, stinky black spray, they use a clear kind of spray. I noticed the diff before and after-road noise was diminished and the car "felt" more solid. Perhaps that may be your solution, and RAYZCAR is the manager of the detail department there-he has a built white Whippled vert and is a MACA member also. Maybe at least talk with him? You may have to yell, cause I think he runs open headers, so loud isn't an issue for him.
Micksnip/Mike
That may be a thought. where is this place located. Im outside of philadelphia.

Users who are viewing this thread