Exhaust Question

97_CobraSVT

Established Member
I installed some LT not to long ago and when installing my new h pipe I found out that my Flowmasters are a hollow metal box with NOTHING inside. My drive is about 60 miles round trip from work to home and I was wanting to know if Im going to hurt anything. The h pipe has no cats so basically Im running strait 2 1/2" pipe with a metal box. The reason Im asking is because a friend at work said that I shouldn't drive it like that b/c its bad on my valves. Ive herd something like this before but just want some clarification. Im going to get some new mufflers but not going to be able to for a few more weeks. I spent more money on the LT installation that I thought I was going to... Imagine that :)

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
your friend isnt very knowledgeable. dont listen to him regarding this subject.

flowmasters are chambered mufflers. the only thing inside is a few its of angled metal. also, they suck in terms of flow.

you car will be fine.

97_CobraSVT

Established Member
shouldnt affect anything whynot just slap some new mufflers in.

How do you know they are hollow

Im going to get some new ones soon just cant right now. Just didnt want to do $1000 in damage to save $200 or so right now :banana: Before putting the new h pipe on I shined a light in to see what kind of shape they were in and found a hollow metal box.

^^^ This.

You won't hurt a anything.

Flowmasters = Blowmasters.

well thats just hurtful... I love the sound of some old school 2 chambered flows :D but i guess im a little old school my self...

Last edited:

97_CobraSVT

Established Member
heck I may just leave it like it is then... the sound is growing on me :) At least until I get gears that is, after that it will prob be screaming at me

Last edited:

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I used to think Flowmasters and Mac Flowpaths sounded awesome on a 4V. When you use an unchambered muffler on a 4V motor you will realize the straight thru muffs are much much better sounding. Pushrod motors like the 5.0 on the other hand sound badass with chambered mufflers.

Spiney

Established Member
We have a 96 Cobra. When we bought it 2 years ago it came with O/R H pipe and Flowmasters. We love the sound and so does just about everyone who hears the car. My only complaint is the drone at highway speeds can get tiring at times. This is the first time I heard anything negative about Flowmasters. The car is emissions exempt here in PA because of no cats. We are only allowed to drive 5K a year. I bought a set of hi flow cats on sale in case we couldn't keep it under 5,000 a year, but we've been averaging about 4K. The car was and is garage kept, sunny days only so the exhaust is like new. If I were to change out the mufflers for better performance what would you suggest? Thanks, Spiney-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread