exhaust resonator ????

1qwkpny

Established Member
My brother and I will be removing the resonator from the SVT Focus tomm. and I was wondering what other exhaust mods are suggested? I was thinking about removing whatever that canister(a second resonator?) with the exhaust tip attached to it is also but it depends on what it sounds like w/out the first resonator. Any suggestions?

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
I removed the center section a year ago. It's pretty loud. It became too loud when I installed the FC off road pipe. I'm just not sure if removing either the front or rear resonator will do much. That muffler(center section) is amazingly efficient. Good luck! E-

Primaris

Established Member
I'm not sure if you mean the off road pipe if ORP;
-Yes. Fed law prohibits removal of cat
-Depends on your local laws.
-Maybe, depends on the test done. If visual inspection is done then no way.

If you're meaning the resonator;
-No
-Depends on your local laws.
-Should have no effect on emmissions

Last edited:

rmvurhdfmurass

Established Member
Just a heads up about the ORP... A good friend of mine is a master technician at the local Ford store. They voided, let me say that again, VOIDED, the warranty of a 3000 mile old SVTF because he had a test pipe (ORP) on it.

To me, (and no one asked), a few HP and more noise isn't worth ditching the 100K powertrain warranty.

1qwkpny

Established Member
well we took the back resonator off and reattached the tip to the replacement section of pipe. It sounds good and isn't to loud and best of all doesn't void any warranty. As far as a voided warranty when I looked at the agreement and call the toll free line basically I understood it to be that if the modification caused the problem then your sol if not no big deal. For example I bought my '89 back in '94 and purchased an extended warranty to cover the entire car up to 75000mi b/c when I took it for a test drive I had a bad vibration when the clutch was engaged and the engine had a tick to it when cold right at start up and the dealer was denying any problems but agreed to sell me the warranty. I took it home and immediately put on a Mac Pro chamber off road h pipe and flowpath mufflers. Well to say the least the ticking got worse and worse till it turned into a fierce knocking and put a rod through the pan on a sidestreet. The dealer didn't even question the exhaust since it hadn't "caused" the problem. Keep in mind I'm not trying to start a war here just telling my experience.

Julio393

Established Member
Originally posted by elliot400
I removed the center section a year ago. It's pretty loud. E-

I can concur. Mine is way too loud with that center section gone. I'm looking for a replacement one now. Would a FLowmaster or other such quiet performace muffler be easily fitted?

Thanks!
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread