Exhaust rubbing Plastic near gas tank - Question

2MuchHP

Established Member
Last night as I pulled int othe garage I noticed a very slight smell of what I can best descibe as burnt plastic (kind of acidic). So I open the hood look around and dont see anything, and the smell fades away.

I get up goto work this morning and as I pull into the parking garage I notice the smell, and it is STRONG. I look under the car becuase the smell is definetly coming from the back driver side and see that my stinger exhaust is touching the black plastic shield in the rear of the car. And it is melting it.

Forgive the noob question but that black shield is covering the gas tank right? I need to get it home to get it up on the jacks and see whast going on. The exhaust has been on the car for 6000 miles with no issues until last night.

How dangerous is that, I'm thinking its very bad.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Yes that is covering the gas tank.

When I went to upgrade my exhaust from regular borla to stinger I found the same thing on the plastic shield covering the gas tank. They were not touching but close enough to melt some of the plastic on one side and it dripped down on the pipe. With the second system I made sure when it was installed that there was plenty of room between the two.

You may have scrapped something like a speed bump and maybe caused the exhaust to shift a little. It probably could be dangerous and at the least could heat the fuel a bit.

03CobraRed

Established Member
I had the same problem with my Bassani after a while but not its not even close and I didnt even touch it or move it?

Users who are viewing this thread