exhaust, shifter, throttle-bodies

therzl

Established Member
I own a 96 Cobra. What combination x-pipe (or H or?) and cat-back exhaust would provide the most hp (this car is street driven)? The brands can be mixed. I'm leaning towards Magnaflow. I also wish to replace the stock shifter. I'm considering the Tri-ax or MGW (or any suggestions). If it's between these 2, which one is the smoothest, most accurate, and will offer the fastest shifts--I'm probably splitting hairs with these questions. Lastly, are throttle-bodies worth the money? I've been told to expect a 5 to 10 hp gain. Is this true?

Thank you.

mystical

Established Member
Most will argue that an offroad x-pipe paired with a straight-thru muffler will provide the most gains. Personally, I'm partial to the sound of an offroad h-pipe with flowmasters or Mac mufflers. The sound more than makes up for the negligible performance gains of other setups.

As far as shifters go, the consensus seems to be that MGW is the best. I've got one and it does fine although I've never had any other brands to compare it to.

TB is a waste of money on a bolt-on car. Good luck.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Flowmaster 40 catbackon mine and it is a droning pig at 2000rpm's. Pretty much any shifter other then stock is better. MGW seems to be a favorite but I have a Pro 5.o and like it.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
MGW shifter..

I have bbk LT's, BBK catted H (hate the rasp of an uncatted pipe) and magnapacks.

I have an accufab single blade throttle body but only because of the forced induction.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i have an off road h-pipe with mac mufflers. it sounds like a beast but i do get a little popping if i hammer it and then let off. i just take the good with the bad. i am about to install a bassani off road x-pipe though so we'll see.

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
I've also got an off road H with MAC cat back. I figured what little difference in horsepower would be exchanged for torque. Also I saw some flow numbers where a magazine tested a bunch of mufflers. The MACs flow better than Flowmasters but also have a slightly high db! :);)

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I think the best flowing exhaust would be an o/r X and stingers or magnapacks. I had the X and stingers on my GT with LT's and it sounded sick.

Shifter: MGW > * If you want cheaper, I have a short handle for the stock shifter I'll sell you.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i wonder if the popping would stop if i put two high flow cats on. not saying i'm going too because i like it loud but maybe in the future i'll tone it down.

Users who are viewing this thread