Exhaust tail pipe hose?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting some type of exhaust tail pipe hose, so I can tinker on the car and keep the exhaust out of my shop. Plus it would be nice to just have my shop door cracked open while doing this.

I see some kits online that look pretty expensive. Can I just buy some type of hose instead? It may need to be pretty long if I plan on running a car while it's on a lift. And other times I can have the car close to the overhead door.

Crappy picture but you can kinda see the distance from lift to the door. I'll measure it tonight.

Anyone have experience with this?

9142103381dc95a8949f36c38b22f125.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

olympic

Established Member

Lots of options out there. The Dayco hose is what I see most commonly. Just make sure the hose is big enough to fit over your exhaust tips. Running a hose from the tail pipe out the door will help a lot but you'll still get leakage and the exhaust will tend to get sucked back into the building unless you run the hose a long ways out from the door.

My dads shop had a really nice setup. There were two 3" diameter hoses hanging from the ceiling, connected to some duct work and over to an exhaust fan which would blow the exhaust fumes outside. It also had the added benefit of providing suction in the hoses so the gasses couldn't leak at the tail pipe/exhaust hose junction.

Keep in mind any setup will only work at idle and maybe some low revs. Any aggressive revving is going to blow the hoses off or damage them.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

Lots of options out there. The Dayco hose is what I see most commonly. Just make sure the hose is big enough to fit over your exhaust tips. Running a hose from the tail pipe out the door will help a lot but you'll still get leakage and the exhaust will tend to get sucked back into the building unless you run the hose a long ways out from the door.

My dads shop had a really nice setup. There were two 3" diameter hoses hanging from the ceiling, connected to some duct work and over to an exhaust fan which would blow the exhaust fumes outside. It also had the added benefit of providing suction in the hoses so the gasses couldn't leak at the tail pipe/exhaust hose junction.

Keep in mind any setup will only work at idle and maybe some low revs. Any aggressive revving is going to blow the hoses off or damage them.
Awesome thanks for the link. I thought about having an exhaust port installed on the door. That way the shop door could be completely closed.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Your shop looks big enough that you really wouldn't have to run a hose if you aren't doing a carbureted car. Most fuel injected cars put out so little CO that they are not a danger.
A pass through in the door is nice, I think ours was $30 bucks and twenty minutes to install. Most exhaust hoses come in 10' lengths and they do make connectors. Our hoses are probably 25 years old, so don't ask we we spent on them. I don't think we have even taken the hoses down from the rack in the last 5 years. Usually when we get a classic car in the weather is nice enough that we have all the doors open.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Your shop looks big enough that you really wouldn't have to run a hose if you aren't doing a carbureted car. Most fuel injected cars put out so little CO that they are not a danger.
A pass through in the door is nice, I think ours was $30 bucks and twenty minutes to install. Most exhaust hoses come in 10' lengths and they do make connectors. Our hoses are probably 25 years old, so don't ask we we spent on them. I don't think we have even taken the hoses down from the rack in the last 5 years. Usually when we get a classic car in the weather is nice enough that we have all the doors open.
Thanks for the feedback. We do have a 67 fastback mustang with a 289. And my 90 coupe let's out a ton of exhaust fumes. I'd venture to guess it's running super rich.

How hard is it to install a exhaust port hole in a overhead garage door? I'd be nervous as to what I'm drilling through. And can they lock from the inside so nobody can tamper with it?

Looks like my tails pipes range from 2 1/4" up to 3 1/2".

I appreciate the help!

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I would move the car closer to the door and keep the hose shorter, questioning how much flow you will get with a ribbed long hose. I would for sure install a port, you would be surprised how much cold air comes in with the door cracked 4".

Installing a port is easy, its a simple hole saw. Overhead doors are usually simply 2 metal skins, with a foam core. Only tip I would suggest, is that you drill from both sides, start the hole then let the pilot bit pierce the other side, then switch, and use the hole to drill from the other side.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome thanks for the link. I thought about having an exhaust port installed on the door. That way the shop door could be completely closed.

That would be what I would do as well. Keeps the exhaust out, and the heat/AC in.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I would move the car closer to the door and keep the hose shorter, questioning how much flow you will get with a ribbed long hose. I would for sure install a port, you would be surprised how much cold air comes in with the door cracked 4".

Installing a port is easy, its a simple hole saw. Overhead doors are usually simply 2 metal skins, with a foam core. Only tip I would suggest, is that you drill from both sides, start the hole then let the pilot bit pierce the other side, then switch, and use the hole to drill from the other side.
This is probably the route I'll go.

Users who are viewing this thread