Expedition Seat and Console Options

SADF

Established Member
Anyone have any idea on where I can get paint to match the dash? Im up for anything even a body shop

Ginther

Established Member
SADF said:
Anyone have any idea on where I can get paint to match the dash? Im up for anything even a body shop

Maybe an Upholstery Supply Shop? I got some paint from one near me, but the colors weren't right. I guess it's trial and error matching colors sometimes. But at $13 a can it can get expensive. I've got 3 cans (2 light gray, and one dark gray) that aren't the right colors and are useless to me now...... and of course I cant take them back. :fm:

I wound up going with Duplicolor from O'Reilly to do the console. I dont think Duplicolor has a color match the dash though.

Hollywoood

Protected by GLOCK...
Established Member
Just curious how the progress was coming??:shrug: Also, I was wondering did you use the entire expy seat track and bracket assembly, or did you use any of the factory L pieces? :??:

Thanks!

Ginther

Established Member
Hollywoood said:
Just curious how the progress was coming??:shrug: Also, I was wondering did you use the entire expy seat track and bracket assembly, or did you use any of the factory L pieces? :??:

Thanks!

It's DONE!! Finally! :pepper:

Pics coming soon.

I used the Expy inner seat bracket and the Lightning outter seat bracket (but the Expy one would work..... My stock bracket was just cleaner). I also used the Expy seat adjusting lever and the seat pan. I also had to use the Expy seat tracks...... the adjustment lever wouldn't mount to the Lightning tracks. The mounting bolt and tabs were reversed for some reason? :shrug:

The Expy seat tracks also had the bracket to use the Expy seat belt. By using the Expy seat belt attached to the seat, I didn't have to heat/melt and bend the stock Lightnig belt.

I basically used all of the Expy parts from the seat pan down. The only stock Lightning part I used was the outter seat bracket cuz the junk yard Expy one was scratched and dirty.

Look for an Expy seat in a junk yard that the upholstery is wasted. It'll be worth less to them because they like to sell seats that people can replace their worn out seats with. A nasty, worn out, ripped/torn, dirty, stained seat isn't worth much as a replacement part.

But we dont care how nasty the upholstery/foam is cuz we're just gonna rob the mechanical guts anyway.

Ginther

Established Member
I finally finished my stereo, bucket seat and Expedition console conversion project........ well almost anyway. Still need to tune the amps and stereo a little, and the console lid and cup holder didn't come out right yet. Kinda patchy looking paint. Should be an easy fix though.

So far everything seems to have worked out great. The stereo freakin rocks and will rattle your guts! The seats are comfy and the console/armrest is nice.

The entire project got a little (alot actually) over budget and took way longer than I hoped, but in the long run I'm glad I didn't just toss a system together, and I'm glad I went ahead and did the seat/console mod.

I haven't added up a total cost on this project...... I'm afraid to! But I'm guessing the seat/console part was under $500 total.

Anyway......... here's some pics of the finished product:

The box with the wiring exposed

SubBox015.gif

The Box with the amp rack cover in place hiding the wiring

SubBox016.gif

The seats installed, kinda concealing the system

SubBox017.gif

Driver side view of console

SubBox018.gif

Passenger side view of console

SubBox019.gif

Hollywoood

Protected by GLOCK...
Established Member
Thanks for all the info on the seat, I actually picked up a complete wide console, and a complete pass. seat at a local yard for 75.00:eek:
I just needed to hear from someone who's done it what parts to use!!! Stay tuned, mine should be done in a couple weeks.

Your install looks amazing!! I'm still trying to decide what to do for a speaker enclosure myself, and trying to not go over-budget!!:rollseyes

I hope mine ends up looking half as good as yours!!:beer:

Ryan

Ginther

Established Member
Hollywoood said:
Thanks for all the info on the seat, I actually picked up a complete wide console, and a complete pass. seat at a local yard for 75.00:eek:

WOW!! I wish I could have found a deal like that when I picked up my stuff. That extra $200 could have gone toward other aspects of this project. :(

Hollywoood said:
I just needed to hear from someone who's done it what parts to use!!! Stay tuned, mine should be done in a couple weeks.

Cool! Keep us posted. Lotsa pics are always good. :-D

Hollywoood said:
Your install looks amazing!! I'm still trying to decide what to do for a speaker enclosure myself, and trying to not go over-budget!!:rollseyes

I hope mine ends up looking half as good as yours!!:beer:

Ryan

Thanks! And good luck with that budget thing. I never can seem to make mine work out. :D

Ginther

Established Member
countrysquire said:
DAMN!!!!!!! That looks great! Congrats on the project.

Thanks man.

You saw how big of a messy, drawn out, scattered project this had become in my garage the other night. I'll be glad to get things cleaned up and organized again so I quit tripping over truck parts! LOL!!

:beer:

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
is there a specific year model for the expeditionconsole? i found a few at a local junkyard for a really good price...I think the expedition i was looking at was an 02 or 03.

chiz

Hollywoood

Protected by GLOCK...
Established Member
The most wanted are the later ones, I think '00-'02. If you get one from a yard dont forget to get the floor brackets and the bolts while you are at it!
:-D

My upholstry guy just called, and my passenger seat is done!! So I can start putting mine back together after work!:rockon: :rockon:

Ryan

txyaloo

Established Member
97-99 have the narrow armrest. 00-02 have the wider one. 03+ won't work for our application. I'm close to finishing mine up too. Hopefully this weekend.

Does anyone have a pic of the seat bracket for the passenger seat? From what I've seen it's different than the drivers side one. I'm trying to figure out what kind of adapter I'm going to need to make for the Cobra passenger seat before I buy the $130 bracket.

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
the best place I have found for interior paint is a PPG store, the lighter grey they have listed as medium graphite, if its for an interior they give you dye rather than paint. Its what I used on my gauge pillar and its a perfect match...

Users who are viewing this thread