experience with chips and no pulley?

Cobra835

Established Member
I am looking for a little more power in the lower RPMs; like the snap that you get when you punch a healthy big-block in 1st gear? I do not want to start with pullies and belts. Has anyone tried only chip, exhaust and air filter, but no pully change? What powergains are you getting? My other option is to just change out gears for 3.90 or 4.10 ratio and skip the chip. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you for your input. This site has been a great help so far.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
This is my experience:
100% factory stock = 355rwhp/361rwtq

K&N cai/Magniflow O/R x-pipe & catbacks/ Predator "sport" tune = 412rwhp/406rwtq

All numbers are SAE on a Dynojet dyno.

DEFINATELY felt the 57rwhp (16%) non-pullied improvement.

I installed a 2.93 pulley & Predator "pulley" tune this weekend and will get dyno'd later this week.

...hope this helps. :beer:

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
When I dynoed my car I tried four different setups during a single dyno test. A 3.4 and 2.8 pulley each with the chip on and chip off. At least with my test it was clear that the chip was designed to work with physics produced with the 2.8 pulley which is what I had it programmed for. Without the chip the 3.4 and 2.8 pulley produced almost identical numbers. However, with the chip on, the 3.4 stayed the same while the 2.8 produced significantly higher power. I also tested these setups at the track which confirmed the power findings.

So I found that a chip does make a significant difference provided it's used with the same equipment it was programmed for.

I have also driven it on the street for a time with only the chip, exhaust, high-flow air filter and the 3.4 pulley. There is no question that this setup does not have the low-end power like it does with the 2.8. If one wants tire shredding power at the lower rpms I found more boost must be available at this point and that means using a smaller pulley.

Another interesting fact I found was that a 2.8 gave great power in the lower rpm range and the car was over one second faster and over 10 mph higher than stock in the 1/8 mile. However, I didn't see the same increase over the last 1/8 mile. In a stock form, I gained about 24-25 mph over the last 1/8. With all the modifications I still gain about 24-25 mph over the last 1/8. So while the car was significantly faster in the ¼ with these modifications virtually all that was due to how it performed in the first 1/8 mile.

Users who are viewing this thread