Explorer....V8 or V6

DontGetBit

The Dynasty has begun....
Established Member
I have decided to sell my Cobra and buy a 02-05 Explorer. I know that they come with either a 4.0 V6 or a 4.6 V8, but can not decide which one to choose. I am not looking for speed out of this vehicle, just something to drive to work and tow a jet ski. It appears that they both get about the same gas mileage and the power is very similar as well.

Which one would be more reliable in the long run? I am looking at a few with about 30-40k miles on them.

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
If teens will be driving it, get a 6. :-D I'm serious, I used to work with some people while in highschool who also were in highschool. Several of them drove Ford Explorers and I wonder how they never wrecked it after watching their pranks, abusing the vehicle, etc.

If it's just mature people driving it, I'd get an 8 if you're pulling stuff, though 6 cylinder would easily pull a jet ski. :)

8 cylinder:
-more ummph, more fun
-some of the V8 explorers had very efficient intakes, better than 87-93 5.0 Mustangs,
-more "future proof" in case you decide to use it for some more heavier equipment

6 cyl.
-better gas mileage
-potentially safer, more resistant to roll over (unless the 8 cyl. is heavier and helps with weight distrobution more).
etc. :-D

Last edited:

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Well, the first and best option is to come to your senses and keep the Cobra. :D If you have to get an Explorer though, the 6 cyl. is available with a manual though you'll have to hunt a little. My brother has a 6 cyl. automatic Explorer "sport" 4x4. It'll get you from A to B.

--T.J.

MarlboroMan

Established Member
Id go with the 8 dude. I had an 01 for a while as a daily driver. It had the 4.0 in it. I bought it with 17k in late 03. To me, it felt weak. Not just performance but all around running condition. I figured it was only a matter of time before something serious broke. But nothing happened. Not to say something wouldnt have later. I decided to sell it Sept of last year with 34k miles on the clock. The only problem I had was a CE light. Scanned it and came back with EGR insufficient flow. They get piss poor gas mileage too. And to me it isnt worth it for the power it has. Id rather have more power from the V8 and sacrifice 2 or 3 mpg. Because thats seriously about the difference. And this was before I had a gummed up EGR valve.

DontGetBit

The Dynasty has begun....
Established Member
TJSwoboda said:
Well, the first and best option is to come to your senses and keep the Cobra. :D If you have to get an Explorer though, the 6 cyl. is available with a manual though you'll have to hunt a little. My brother has a 6 cyl. automatic Explorer "sport" 4x4. It'll get you from A to B.

--T.J.

I agree about keeping the Cobra, but I want to buy a house and need to reduce my expenses. I am not a big fan of the Explorer Sports and an automatic would actually be a nice change for my daily commute.

I am leaning toward the 4.6. I have owned 2 and while they were both in mustangs they were very reliable engines. One of the local dealers has 2 identical Explorers, but 1 has a 4.6 and the other has a 4.0. I think I will test drive them tomorrow and compare the two. I am not looking for speed, just something to tow the jet ski and haul around friends.

mifordman

Established Member
my buddie has on 03 limited with the 4.6 in it..... he has a honda hatchback that is his race car....(not street legal) he tows it and a 16ft. aluminum trailer. and for an suv it is kind of peppy i was suprised the first time he floored it.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
The new Explorers are pigs.

V8 at least. I also recommend looking at an Eaton for it or something similar if you're used to the HP of the Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread