Extended Warranty on GT500

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
I've narrowed my search down to a 2011 or 2012 GT500. But, by now, most of the cars factory warranties have expired, except for some of the Ford powertrain warranty. Do most of you GT500 guys buy extended warranties? I am seriously considering getting one for my new ride.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Complete waste of money especially if your on the forums, first mod will void the warranty plus the dealer will fight tooth and nail over repair work even on a stock car.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
This ^^^

I have had extended warranties on both our motorhome and a 07 honda accord. Never did get back what I had paid for the warranties. Would have been cheaper to put the money I paid for the warranties into savings and used that for any repairs. I did not get one on or 08 Shelby or 14 Edge.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh guys lol

You guys do realize that dealers get paid to do warranty work right? That they will fight to get it covered under warranty to get the added profit, right?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Uh no I've worked at several dealers and they get paid less by ford then if it was normal service work at the regular hourly rate. Most are slammed with appointments unless you can find one in the middle of nowhere.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Uh no I've worked at several dealers and they get paid less by ford then if it was normal service work at the regular hourly rate. Most are slammed with appointments unless you can find one in the middle of nowhere.

Uh yes.

My warranty labor rate is $1.18 less than my customer pay.

Riddle me this. Would I rather be doing work for $1.18 less...or not at all?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Uh yes.

My warranty labor rate is $1.18 less than my customer pay.

Riddle me this. Would I rather be doing work for $1.18 less...or not at all?

I don't work well with riddles and maybe your dealership is different. It's been years since i worked at one but rates were considerably different. However the last few years even under the factory warranty i get the run around for repair work. In rare circumstances you may have a long standing relationship with your dealer if they have made numerous sales off you and be willing to take care of things. I find this to be the exeption not the rule though.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't work well with riddles and maybe your dealership is different. It's been years since i worked at one but rates were considerably different. However the last few years even under the factory warranty i get the run around for repair work. In rare circumstances you may have a long standing relationship with your dealer if they have made numerous sales off you and be willing to take care of things. I find this to be the exeption not the rule though.

Dealerships are able to request a warranty rate increase every year. There would be no reason not to. Manufacturers pay different warranty rates to different stores; based on THEIR effective labor rate.

If there was a huge variance, then the dealer you worked for either had a ridiculously low effective labor rate, OR they weren't doing their job asking for a rate increase to match their effective rate.

Snoopy49

Established Member
This ^^^

I have had extended warranties on both our motorhome and a 07 honda accord. Never did get back what I had paid for the warranties. Would have been cheaper to put the money I paid for the warranties into savings and used that for any repairs. I did not get one on or 08 Shelby or 14 Edge.

Using this logic, why buy insurance for your life, car and home if you have never had a claim in the past. You need to think of the extended warranty as an insurance policy, you buy it hoping you will never need it, but if you do, your covered.
It is true that if you mod your car and something fails due to the mods or your driving style, the extended warranty won't cover the repairs, but if the problem can not be associated with any mods, Ford has to cover the repairs. The same is true of the original warranty.
With the high cost of all the electronics and tech on these cars plus the $100+ an hour shop charges it doesn't take much to justify the cost of the extended warranty.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Using this logic, why buy insurance for your life, car and home if you have never had a claim in the past. You need to think of the extended warranty as an insurance policy, you buy it hoping you will never need it, but if you do, your covered.
It is true that if you mod your car and something fails due to the mods or your driving style, the extended warranty won't cover the repairs, but if the problem can not be associated with any mods, Ford has to cover the repairs. The same is true of the original warranty.
With the high cost of all the electronics and tech on these cars plus the $100+ an hour shop charges it doesn't take much to justify the cost of the extended warranty.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
I usually buy extended warranties on my vehicles. What I found is that you may get lucky on one or two vehicles and NOT use the warranty, but the next one.....You'll be really happy you did! Most likely, I would only buy a Ford ESP Premium Care.

But, with all the electronic gizmos etc, it would give me peace of mind (especially on a $35-40,000 car, lol). Who wants
to repair a bunch of stuff when you could just take it back to the dealer and get it covered?

One of the cars I am seriously considering (still, lol) has had a pulley swap. I am not sure if that would ever be noticed OR what impact that could have on any repairs made by a shop unless the shop makes a big deal about it (in which case they would be trying NOT to make any money by doing the repair). Personally, I would buy the warranty for all the power crap, electronic stuff, convertible top motors etc.

50stangpower

Established Member
If it has a pulley you can kiss any drive train warranty goodbye. Anyone who denies this is full of shit or up there dealers ass.

Snoopy49

Established Member
ABS Modulator - $923 List - $660 AutoNation + Shipping and labor.
Convertible Top Motor and Pump - $616 List - $363 AutoNation + Shipping and labor.
Convertible Top Lift Cylinder Rh or LH - $448 ea. List - $295 AutoNation + Shipping and labor.
Instrument Cluster - $770 List - $561 AutoNation + Shipping and labor.
EEC Module - $798 List - $527 AutoNation + Shipping and labor.
Sync Module -$337 List - $278 AutoNation + Shipping and labor.

This is just some of the electrical parts and the list would get a lot more costly if I wanted to take the time and list the hardware parts.

Another thing to keep in mind is the number of parts that are no longer available through the dealer. If you get a chance take a look at the parts available through the dealer for your car. Who would have thought that the fuse box and nav receiver, display unit and bezel for a 2014 Mustang would have been discontinued less than 3 years after production. I have run across a lot more parts that have been discontinued. I am hoping that Ford is holding back a lot of these parts for warranty replacement.

Last edited:

barspen

Established Member
I'm modded up for road corse duty (obvious when they look at it) and never had an issue with getting parts replaced under my extended warrantee. New driveshaft and front control arms @ almost 5 years in. If I was pullied and broke the engine, maybe that would be a different story.

Happy I paid extra for it.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I am likely to get ESP.

Keep in mind any common part such as an interior part or basic Mustang item will be easily replaced by your dealer under warranty.

However, if it is Shelby specific, especially drive train, the Ford rep is going to show up and oversee it and the dealer has no control. If you have any mod remotely related to the item damaged, warranty denied!

Tom

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I am likely to get ESP.

Keep in mind any common part such as an interior part or basic Mustang item will be easily replaced by your dealer under warranty.

However, if it is Shelby specific, especially drive train, the Ford rep is going to show up and oversee it and the dealer has no control. If you have any mod remotely related to the item damaged, warranty denied!

Tom
A Ford rep isn't going to come look at every warranty claim on his car related to Shelby parts.

Hate to say it, but at the end of the day Shelbys are just another car. If it keeps having the same issues, yes a rep will come out to oversee. But a one time thing, it's not worth their time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Modding a vehicle does not automatically void your warranty.

mavisky

Established Member
No it won't but putting an aftermarket shifter, clutch, pulley, intake, and tune will void your entire powertrain warranty and that's about all that really matters on these cars. The rest of the stuff like window motors, door locks, relays, convertible mechanism, etc... is replaceable with v6 rental parts for the most part.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No it won't but putting an aftermarket shifter, clutch, pulley, intake, and tune will void your entire powertrain warranty and that's about all that really matters on these cars. The rest of the stuff like window motors, door locks, relays, convertible mechanism, etc... is replaceable with v6 rental parts for the most part.
Oh brother.

If the mod has to do with the failure, no it won't be covered. If it doesn't, it will.

Those standard V6 parts are just as expensive as the Shelby ones.

Users who are viewing this thread