Exterior home lighting

Chersch7406

Established Member
I’m looking around at lighting for the front of our home. What do you all do to light up the front of your home? I obviously have the porch light and garage lights but I feel like there could be more done to illuminate the house. Do you all use lights with power packs, solar, etc..just looking for ideas.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Good post. I have a switched outlet ready for outdoor lighting and have just started researching lights myself.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

IA Shelby

Established Member
We installed Red Dot outdoor landscape lighting probably 15 years ago. It is hardwired and works great. It is heavy duty and has held up well over the years. We live in a northern climate with harsh winters so I have been impressed with the durability. We got it at Home Depot.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
I had 4” wafer thin LEDs @4000K temperature, 765lumens installed in the soffits around my house between windows. 15 on the main house & 3 centered on the doors of the detached 3 car garage. They use almost 0 watts, will last 50 years and make the property look GREAT. DON’T make the mistake of aiming lights AT your house. “Wash” your house with light from the top down.

Ultra Thin 4" LED Wafer Downlight by Lithonia Lighting at Lumens.com

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I had 4” wafer thin LEDs @3000 lumens installed in the soffits around my house between windows. 15 on the main house & 3 centered on the doors of the detached 3 car garage. They use almost 0 watts, will last 50 years and make the property look GREAT. DON,T make the mistake of aiming lights AT your house. “Wash” your house with light from the top down.

Ultra Thin 4" LED Wafer Downlight by Lithonia Lighting at Lumens.com
We did the same, but used 5” cans when our house was being built. I bought a grunch of pathway lights from Volt and will also include some tree mounted down lights.

Brillo58

Established Member
A well designed landscape lighting install will always look better than a house flooded with soffit lights... much classier and more natural. Check out Kichler Lighting ... I am a distributor of their line. In addition to standard home lighting they have a complete line of landscape lighting... middle of the road, not super high end but good quality for the price. Plenty of LED options as well. If your project is not too large you can usually get by with one strategically placed transformer for the whole project. Typically the transformer plugs into an outdoor receptacle. If you can have the receptacle controlled by a switch, this is ideal.... because then you can use a WiFi switch in place of a timer or photocell. Put the switch in, download the app, program your WiFi switch and enjoy. Another option is to put the transformer in the basement or garage and run the low voltage cable to the outside from there...sometimes an easier install. If I can help you further, let me know. I own an electrical distributor so I’m up to date on all things electrical.

Brillo58

Established Member
If your house is a new build, have your electrician put all of your exterior receptacles on a switch, or multiple switches if so desired. As I mentioned this allows for WiFi switches for programmability....and Xmas lights if so desired....

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
A well designed landscape lighting install will always look better than a house flooded with soffit lights... much classier and more natural. .

Yeah...this just looks like $H!T...

c8227cf7f90eb80bbd6b9b26e8cd80ba.jpg

coposrv

Established Member
A well designed landscape lighting install will always look better than a house flooded with soffit lights... much classier and more natural. Check out Kichler Lighting ... I am a distributor of their line. In addition to standard home lighting they have a complete line of landscape lighting... middle of the road, not super high end but good quality for the price. Plenty of LED options as well. If your project is not too large you can usually get by with one strategically placed transformer for the whole project. Typically the transformer plugs into an outdoor receptacle. If you can have the receptacle controlled by a switch, this is ideal.... because then you can use a WiFi switch in place of a timer or photocell. Put the switch in, download the app, program your WiFi switch and enjoy. Another option is to put the transformer in the basement or garage and run the low voltage cable to the outside from there...sometimes an easier install. If I can help you further, let me know. I own an electrical distributor so I’m up to date on all things electrical.

A central located transformer sucks. It’s great in theory but then running sometimes up to number 8 is ****ing expensive and trading one problem for another. Line voltage exterior lights are far better than a shit load of transformers. 120 and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread