Extreme Differential Cover Brace....

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Extreme-duty IRS Cover Brace....

Hey Folks,

Since no one seemed to be taking on the challenge of designing a diff. cover girdle for our Terminators (the 99 and 01 Cobras also), we have decided to do so. In fact, we've been working on it for a while and should have a couple of prototypes for testing within a few short days.

The brace is made from 1/4" 1018 Carbon Steel bar stock and is fully fillet-welded using MIG process. The crosshatched part is an 1/8" spacer that will most likely be yellow-chromate coated. The brace will be powder coated (color TBD but probably red) and will come with Grade 8 hardware. It will be a simple bolt-on installation and can be done with the diff on the car.

The girdle will effectively transfer the bulk of the torque load from the mounting flange directly to the differential housing rather than through the weak cover.

It is envisioned that this girdle along with a beefed up diff., bushings, and a set of DSS level 5 halfshafts will finally yield a relatively bulletproof street/strip rear-end setup for the Terminators without having to go to a live-axle setup.

Stay tuned! More details, pics, etc. to follow.....

MJ

Last edited:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I could have used it when I blew a hole in my cover. :-D

Edit-It will be interesting to see what happens when someone with big horsepower tries out the new halfshafts.

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
I could have used it when I blew a hole in my cover. :-D

Edit-It will be interesting to see what happens when someone with big horsepower tries out the new halfshafts.

My mission is to be cutting 1.5X 60' times all next year on the IRS. This brace will be one of the key ingredients along with the DSS Level5 halfshafts.

MJ

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
Awesome work MJ, subscribing for info......

Don't want a weeping diff cover in my driveway anytime soon......

dougwg

Established Member
this is a silly idea...

it will never work....

it will cost way to much...

But then again, I could be wrong:lol:

Great idea MJ :thumbsup:
PM me your #

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
this is a silly idea...

it will never work....

it will cost way to much...

But then again, I could be wrong:lol:

He, he, he....

I PM'ed you my number.

MJ

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Can't wait to see it Mark. :beer:
As soon as I break another halfshaft I'll be going to the Level 5 DSS setup.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
great job MJ.

Isn't it great to see how far the IRS in the cobra has come since 99? At first, everyone thought it was hopeless (including me) but look now, we will hopefully have parts that will make the IRS able to launch with slicks and support MAJOR hp.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
great job MJ.

Isn't it great to see how far the IRS in the cobra has come since 99? At first, everyone thought it was hopeless (including me) but look now, we will hopefully have parts that will make the IRS able to launch with slicks and support MAJOR hp.

As Joe Lynch says......"This is FUN!"

MJ

SVT 03 Cobra

Originally posted by mjchip
My mission is to be cutting 1.5X 60' times all next year on the IRS. This brace will be one of the key ingredients along with the DSS Level5 halfshafts.

MJ

This is a great idea, but if it works right, you shoule be cutting 1.4x.... I run low 1.6x all day long on the stock rear. I just wish the clutch would hold up.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by J69gordon
This is a great idea, but if it works right, you shoule be cutting 1.4x.... I run low 1.6x all day long on the stock rear. I just wish the clutch would hold up.

Yeah, I can't see that happening......the track that I frequent has the WORST track prep during street nights. Oh well, I should be able to start side-stepping the clutch with the new rear-end setup.

BTW, I'm waiting for the ECTED to become available. I have FMS 3.73:1 gears, main bearing cap studs, solid spacer/shim kit, ready to go in as well as some QA1 shocks.

I already did the 26-spline input shaft and replaced the SPEC 3XL with a 10.5" version. I have run DSS halfshafts for over 125 strip passes without problem.

MJ

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Seriously Mark, I hope you have found the solution for this weak point. Most people are not going to want to make the switch to a solid, so you will be helping a lot of owners.

If you need measurments or pictures or anything that may be difficult to get with the IRS in the car, let me know. Mine is sitting on the floor in the garage

Dan

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
Seriously Mark, I hope you have found the solution for this weak point. Most people are not going to want to make the switch to a solid, so you will be helping a lot of owners.

If you need measurments or pictures or anything that may be difficult to get with the IRS in the car, let me know. Mine is sitting on the floor in the garage

Dan

Thanks Dan. Now that you mention it, how about a couple of pics looking down directly onto the diff. I would be interested to see how much clearance there is between the stock cover and the rear mounting support. If you could just shoot some pics looking down onto the IRS unit that would be great.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread