extreme firewall flex while clutching....

kennycoulter

Established Member
i searched and only found a mention of flew with a steeda setup.

i still have the stock clutch and cable, but have done the hacking of the o.e. auto adjuster to create a manual adjuster.

lately i have had a little trouble getting the trans into first at a stop.

yesterday while driving home, and soooooooooooo close to home (stop sign at my street), i had the windows down and could hear some clunking.

while working on my other car, my friend stopped by and i had him press on the clutch so i could see what is happening.

my firewall is flexing so bad, that i would guess that the front most part of the master cylinder is moving about 0.75-1".

when i step on it faster, i hear the noise.

stepping on it slow, i just hear the neutral safety switch, and can feel a slight shift.

is there any correction for this, or do i need a lighter clutch?

i orignally thought that maybe i had the cable tensioned too much, and was at the end of the cable, only to pull the firewall since the clutch/release fork couldn't go far enough, but i think that would make the clutch slip>>>>>> but i definitely have more grip than i ever had with the auto adjuster.

please help. this is the last week that i have to use my cobra for a daily (hopefully) but want to make sure it is correct before winter hits.

kennycoulter

Established Member
i completely forgot about all of this. finally took my car for a cruise and noticed it again.

p.s. never got to finish my 85, my dad died, so everything got parked/stopped.

arc00ta

Established Member
Thats bad stuff. It happened in one of my firebirds, the firewall cracked and the whole master cylinder went out the other side in the middle of traffic on the highway. Not a fun experience at all. I ended up having to weld plates to both sides to keep it from getting worse.

kennycoulter

Established Member
I'll check to make sure that the bolts are tight, I wish my friends wouldn't be such pansies about pushing in the clutch on the car, so that I can see what is going on....

Users who are viewing this thread