EZ Front Speaker Install on 2012 Mustang GT

Laztug

Established Member
Nice! I have a set of polk dbs on the way.
Just wondering, would it mess with sync if i cut the wires and solder them on to the new speaker? I don't like the idea of spending an extra 20 bucks on adapters i don't need.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I have the basic non sync system and even heard on that a speaker upgrade helps with sound some. Anyone have a recommendation for speakers to upgrade for the stock base model head unit? I wouldn't mind upgrading those now and then the head unit later when I pull $300+ for the metra or schosch unit too.

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
Snip the ears off, but you cant see what you are doing in the video... at best a C on your video.

Thunder5.0

Established Member
Yep, the Polk Dbs sound good too. Much appreciated on the positive comments. The ears to cut off are the top and bottom (leave the sides alone). I know its hard to see on the video.
You'll need a 6mm, 7mm socket and a tork bit for the first two bolts I took off in the beginning of the video. Other than that, piece of cake!

Laztug

Established Member
Shaker or non shaker?

I have the shaker 500.

I have the basic non sync system and even heard on that a speaker upgrade helps with sound some. Anyone have a recommendation for speakers to upgrade for the stock base model head unit? I wouldn't mind upgrading those now and then the head unit later when I pull $300+ for the metra or schosch unit too.

Polk Audio db571 5" x 7" / 6" x 8" Mountable 2-way Car Speakers

I picked up these polks, a buddy of mine has them on his f150 and they sound great.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Good tips in this thread. Loving the thick NY accent in this vid btw, represent lol!

^^^Will definitely be picking up a set of these Polk Audio Speakers for the front in my car.

Laztug

Established Member
polks just came in.
Do you guys know if i will lose my sync if i don't use the metra adapters? I would like to save 30 bucks and not buy adapters.

Mrplow

Established Member
I also have the shaker 500, and find it leaves a little to be desired, actually sounds like sh*t. Am planning on replacing door speakers and then need a little more base, any good ideas out there for high quality yet compact woofer setup for trunk?

Nuar

Established Member
polks just came in.
Do you guys know if i will lose my sync if i don't use the metra adapters? I would like to save 30 bucks and not buy adapters.

Nah, sync will be fine. The adapters are only to make the connection easier.
Without the adapters you will need to cut the plug off and connect the wires manualy to the speaker.
Most people get thay adapter so they dont have to cut the plug off on their original wireing.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Snip the ears off, but you cant see what you are doing in the video... at best a C on your video.

I got dizzy watching it, but he did one and I did NOT..KUDOS:beer:

I will replace mine, just don't know which speakers yet.

Can anyone that did a swap comment on the difference in sound?

RC

Laztug

Established Member
The rear speakers are a journey to get to.
I finally removed all of the speakers and will be installing the polks w/ factory plugs.

califsp

Established Member
2013 with shaker 500 here. Changed the speakers this morning. Polk mm6501 component in front and mm651 in rear. I used cruchfield's wiring adapters because they have the correct polarity. Metra's are backwards. Bought some speaker adapters from Tousley Ford. Did something different on the fronts. I carefully drilled out the little holes on both interior door panels right under the door lock button. I drilled a circular pattern the same size as the tweeters. I mounted the tweeters on the door's steel frame behind where I drilled out each circular pattern. You can't see any difference if you're sigting in the car. Also, I used Polk MMs because at 2.7 ohms, they're closer to the stock 2 ohms than anything else I could find. The improved sound is unbelievable.

Laztug

Established Member
Care to elaborate on that one?

I removed the connectors from the factory speakers and installed them on the polks for a factory fit.

I took a quick pic nothing amazing, but it gets the job done.

The polks sound great, no distortion no unwanted rattles just amazing sound.

20130615_145054_zpsb2939bfd.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread