factory five cobras?

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
What do you guys think of the factory five cobra kits? I was thinking of getting one when I come back from the sandbox. What is needed with them, and how much do they run with all of the other stuff that you need to buy?

I looked into them a few years back, but, lost/ forgot all of the info. :beer:

ILLBITE

1 Bad GT
Established Member
I think they are great and the price was at around 12,995 for the kit you get everything except engine and trans. I always thought a cobra kit car with an 03 cobra (KB or whippled of course) motor and trans would rock in one of those little monkeys. Anyways, I do believe they are not just subject to small block fords but BB fords and modulars. I think when you are all said and done and if you did a budget kit It would cost a person around 22,500 If done on a budget. Check out the summitt racing cat on their new 347 Blue print engines complete with 600 Edelbrock carb for just 5K. Just a suggestion. That is cool thing if you do it and keep us posted man!!!

boosted306

Established Member
Price is reasonable. I would stick a TT 351W in one! That would scream. I think that you could expect 20,000 when it is completely finished.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
You actually need all the drivetrain from a donor car. Brakes, wheels, rearend, gas tank, wheels, etc. You can do one on the cheap for low 20's.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I once looked into them. They're a great set-up and a quality build. Once I added everything I wanted into the build, it turned out to be just a hair above $30K. I think the design is better than Superformance or any of the other companies. I wouldn't want to use a donor mustang though. I'd use Mustang II suspension or something, and a larger engine (even though the weight is just over 2K lbs. Just my personal opinion. Type "FFC Cobra" into youtube. You'll find a supercharged 302 doing a track course like a bat out of hell. If I had time for the build, I would definately get one.

THE_STIG

Established Member
I've looked into them, they told that you can put anything you want under the hood of those cars. The quality of the kits were very good from what I saw at the show.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I once looked into them. They're a great set-up and a quality build. Once I added everything I wanted into the build, it turned out to be just a hair above $30K. I think the design is better than Superformance or any of the other companies. I wouldn't want to use a donor mustang though. I'd use Mustang II suspension or something, and a larger engine (even though the weight is just over 2K lbs. Just my personal opinion. Type "FFC Cobra" into youtube. You'll find a supercharged 302 doing a track course like a bat out of hell. If I had time for the build, I would definately get one.

I've seen three types up close and personal. A guy at work had a factory five with the fuel injected 302 (late model 302 out of a mustang). It was ok. It's not hard to make a 2000 lb. car move out. One of the pipefitter's at work has a Superformance Cobra with a 427 side oiler in it. He brought it into the shop and I put it on the lift to repair a broken exhaust hanger on it. That car sounds wicked as hell. Cammy big blocks have there own sound if you know what I mean. I like the big block for those cars better than the small block. My Dad has an Everett Morrison kit which has a kickass suspension on it. 4" tubular chromoly chassis with a 5-link coilover rear suspension. It has a 428 cobra jet with all the bells and whistles. The body and paint isn't done yet but needless to say the car will haul ass when finished. Overall, I like all three for different reasons. They look good finished and most people can't tell the difference anyway.

01vert

Established Member
ok, best idea for you is to get a spreadsheet up and going and figure everything you need. I had a deposit on one, and had the owners build manual and started on that. With a really good paint and a rebuilt motor, trans and rear I was in the neighborhood of 35k for the car said and done. The 13k kit needs a ton of parts including usually buying a donor car, which I did. The idea is, do you want to put a 90k motor in a new car? Of course not! What about a used trans? clutch? rear? suspension pieces? etc etc etc. If you can do bodywork you can save a ton as well as rebuild a motor can save you cash. Do you want Mustang GT 4 bolt rims on yours? Halibrand replica wheels?

The front suspension doesn't adapt to mustang 2 but you can get the control arms tubular from FF and they use coilovers If I remember correctly. The car is actually a decent handler with the stock suspension from FFR and you can also adapt the TBird IRS to the rear if you want it or I think they still have a 3 link kit too for the solid.

Best bet, get the manual for like $100 and look through.

Go to http://www.ffcobra.com/ and check out the site. That site is one of the strengths of FFR, you have instant communication with plenty of owners who have done it already. No other kit has a site like that.

After a year debating it, the best advice was from that board, do a cost breakdown of EVERYTHING! on a spreadsheet with a low (used) a middle, and a high (wishlist) and see where you are. I myself didnt want to spend 25k on a car with 4 lug rims and a Fuelie 5.0 in it that may not get rebuilt. The way I wanted mine ran more money that I am willing to spend on one. Also, if you live in an emissions state that registers these as "new" cars then expect to have to keep a ton of emissions stuff on it unless you have a way around it.

Good luck either way

Users who are viewing this thread