Factory Speaker Replacement Recommendations

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
That amp and those speakers will work great. I mentioned in a thread earlier today the space right between the deck speakers (underside) is a easy place to mount an amp and keep it out of the way (and out of site). Not saying it's the most convenient spot for adjustments but once they're setup most people rarely touch them again anyway.

Yeah, that was where I planned on mounting the amp as long as I have enough room between the speakers. And those speakers will actually work better as low pass speakers for bass being they are only 2 way, correct? Since I won't really be shooting for higher range frequencies like a 3-way handles?

Mugzy

Connoisseur Extraordinair
Established Member
I would wait and do everything at the same time. Scour the web for good deals. Make a PLAN. Do not just get speakers....then get an amp...then whatever. You can find a nice set of components to go in the doors and put them on a small amp that can fit under the dash for 2-300 bucks, including a line driver which you'll need to level the outputs from the head unit.

Usually what happens people end up buying expensive speakers and run them on stock head unit power(maybe 15 watts) and they wonder why they sound like shit.

go here

www.diyma.com

use google search for the forums there

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, that was where I planned on mounting the amp as long as I have enough room between the speakers. And those speakers will actually work better as low pass speakers for bass being they are only 2 way, correct? Since I won't really be shooting for higher range frequencies like a 3-way handles?

Honestly makes no difference based on this alone since the low pass will be well below the speaker crossover setting. Also, most all replacement speakers made these days are really just two-way. What's important above all else is to listen to the speaker and determine if it's easy on the ears(sounds natural) or fatiguing over time. Obviously better to listen to speakers installed in a car but this is rarely possible.

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Usually what happens people end up buy expensive speakers and run them on stock head unit power(maybe 15 watts) and they wonder why they sound like shit.

Certainly better but I can tell you from experience the head unit has decent power for what it is. I had no trouble running aftermarket 5x7's off the head unit. Will certainly not get great bass/sub-bass but for satellite duty it's just fine.

Best affordable/easy options for line-level conversion are IMO are the Audio Control lc2i or PAC-Audio AOEM-FRD24. Or just use an amp with high level line inputs.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Thanks for the help, Viking. I'll look into getting this done, unless other goodies present themselves in a more "money happy" matter. :lol1:

Also, Mugzy, than you for that link. I will save it and make sure to check out wheat it has there for reading material and tutorials.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
kicker? they are not what they used to be, id rather get walmart pioneers

I swapped my door speakers in my 13 for some MTX thunder dome 2 way 6x8 and they sound AWESOME. Great sound imaging, I listen to allot of rock/country/dance dubstep/hip hop/ even with the factory head unit they sound amazing.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Can you use those with the shaker? I have zero clue about upgrading sound systems.

They'e used with all the upper door and deck speakers, regardless of shaker/non-shaker. Helps make it a plug-n-play install. They do not work with the door subs.

FYI, most component speakers and some co-axials use a seperate crossover box and this does add to the work involved (running wires, etc) due to limitations on where the crossover will physically fit within the doors.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I went ahead and order the Pioneers posted above. Will have them Friday and hope to have them install over the weekend. Looking forward to these, as the reviews are all positive when paired with the factory deck, and they should work great when I throw and amp on them.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Impact 5.0

Established Member
I went ahead and order the Pioneers posted above. Will have them Friday and hope to have them install over the weekend. Looking forward to these, as the reviews are all positive when paired with the factory deck, and they should work great when I throw and amp on them.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Let us know if its a direct fit. I'd like to get these for the 13.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I noticed pioneer has 2 way 6X8's and a set of 4 way 6X8's?

What would be a better option?

Stick with something like the TS-D6802R. You want to pay for driver/crossover quality, not quantity. Look at any of the high-end component speakers, none of them are even 3-way.

I swear they just make these so people who have a 70's musclecar still have something cool to put in the back deck.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Stick with something like the TS-D6802R. You want to pay for driver/crossover quality, not quantity. Look at any of the high-end component speakers, none of them are even 3-way.

I swear they just make these so people who have a 70's musclecar still have something cool to put in the back deck.

cool thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread