Failed inspection on "system not ready". Why?

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Failed inspection on "system not ready". Why? *UPDATE*

Been a few weeks since I got a phantom bank too lean code that only went off once. Cleared it then. Now today, I failed inspection. No codes only system not ready. Showed on print out that the o2 sensors and catalytic system not ready. Could it be possible that it's only cause I only drove a few (about 4 or 5lmiled to the station?

Last edited:

Humboldt1498

Established Member
Been a few weeks since I got a phantom bank too lean code that only went off once. Cleared it then. Now today, I failed inspection. No codes only system not ready. Showed on print out that the o2 sensors and catalytic system not ready. Could it be possible that it's only cause I only drove a few (about 4 or 5lmiled to the station?

Sounds like you didn't drive the car long enough. Not sure exactly what it is for Mustangs, but generally it takes around 50 miles of drive time after resetting codes for the system to read normal again.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
you need to do a driving cycle - see the manual for procedure

stock tune? if not, then the aftermarket tune likely has the rear O2s defaulted to off

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
you need to do a driving cycle - see the manual for procedure

stock tune? if not, then the aftermarket tune likely has the rear O2s defaulted to off

Ok I'll check that out. It's been over 100 miles since the reset. Aftermarket tune. Is there a way to check the rear o2 settings? Last year it passed but probably had the roush blower tine in it

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
no way to check it, ask the tuner who did the work to check his tune file for you car.

100 miles should be enough, however, there is a specific sequence of things to do to get the monitors ready

chao5.0

Established Member
even if you drove 100 miles since clearing the code you need to drive further than 4-5 miles to ready everything before a emissions test. do a 20-30 mile drive before a emissions test just to make sure everything is warmed up and ready then let them test it, by then the only way you should fail is if something is wrong because most states will still pass you if 1 or 2 systems are not ready, more than that and its a automatic fail.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Screenshot_2013-06-03-15-38-25_zpsea875d7c.png

That's how mine looks with the VMP tune. I'm hoping he can send me an emissions tune that'll work to get me through inspection. I don't have cats though :( Hope I don't have to put them back on every year at inspection time.

Humboldt1498

Established Member
Screenshot_2013-06-03-15-38-25_zpsea875d7c.png

That's how mine looks with the VMP tune. I'm hoping he can send me an emissions tune that'll work to get me through inspection. I don't have cats though :( Hope I don't have to put them back on every year at inspection time.

If you don't have cats how do you expect to pass emissions? :??:

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I know quite a few people who don't have cats but have their tunes adjusted to where it will still pass when plugged in. We don't have the "sniffer" test, they just plug in to our obdii ports

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Mine looks the same. Same parameters show nit ready. I think the rear o2's are turned off. I loaded roush tune in it that passed last year and gonna go try again Friday after a hundred or so miles. Should be a different not ready fail if miles aren't enough.

Mods are roush tvs, VMP pulley and tune (82 I think) and gt500 axle backs.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
There are chronometric values that need to be changed, the 420 and 430 codes need to be enabled as well. This will change the O2 stuff to unsupported, and will allow the car to pass, no CEL will illuminate in regards to your rear O2s.

As for the random lean code, the sensor may be going bad, especially if only on one bank.

prn1972

Established Member
It would just be easier to tell them over the phone, it took 5 weeks for me to get this fixed, if you have turned everything on in the tune & done drive cycles its SCT's software, I only know 1 tuner who figured it out, & yes tuners do some times keep this stuff secret

Fun4me

Established Member
It would just be easier to tell them over the phone, it took 5 weeks for me to get this fixed, if you have turned everything on in the tune & done drive cycles its SCT's software, I only know 1 tuner who figured it out, & yes tuners do some times keep this stuff secret
OK. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread