Failed Smog!!!

johnnytea

Established Member
Well I feared the day I would have to smog, and I knew I was gonna fail without cats. So, Whats the best and least expensive cats to jam in there to pass smog???? I live in ventura County California, Anyone live near here that knows a "good smog" test stations wink wink???

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
Did you remove all of them? If you failed with no cats I think they'll fail you until you get all of them back in.

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
HalfTime said:
go to a junk yard, weld 'em in, and your set. 20$ max

You can buy them from a junk yard? I didn't think it was legal to sell used emmisions pieces. Atleast in AZ that's what I was told.

FordFanStan

Established Member
JohnnyTea, my trucks at DMP right now, and I just had all new exhaust put on. All my stock stuff is there form manifolds to tips. If you want to pick it up, you can use the stock stuff to put on and pass smog, but I think I want it back after that for 2 years down the road I migth need it for my next smog lol. To let you know I just passed cali smog with poted eaton, stage2 heads/cams, and 4lber, but all stock exhaust. So that should definiitely do the trick for you. Let me know so I can tell Dante if your gonna take them or not.. Stan

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
johnnytea said:
Well I feared the day I would have to smog, and I knew I was gonna fail without cats. So, Whats the best and least expensive cats to jam in there to pass smog???? I live in ventura County California, Anyone live near here that knows a "good smog" test stations wink wink???
DO YOU HAVE LONG TUBE HEADDERS OR JUST A MID PIPE WITH NO CATS.

bransharksfan

2006 ST Class AutoX CHAMP
Established Member
I hope that you did not smog it knowing it was going to fail. In cali. they flag cars/trucks that dont pass. They are even more strict once flagged!

redz_02

Established Member
I've been looking at RPM outlet, they had some pypes cats for 50 bucks that are 50 state emmissions legal. Random tech is good but 150 a piece. Think 1 for each bank should be fine.

FordFanStan

Established Member
He has edelbrock shorty headers, (50 state legal), and no cats. Im loaning him my stock mid pipe to bolt up and use...

You need to quite worrying about it so much right now Chuck lol, you still have at least a couple years to deal with it.. Stan

scott818

Banned
I am in the san fernando valley and will be taking my stock mids off in the middle of next week. You can use them to re-smog if you like. A little closer than LaQuinta. Offer's on the table.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
CHUXSVT said:
is that legall.

I don't see why not. I have some friend who are into imports and they all have their cars registered in non-smog states so they can mod anything they want. I live in VA and my L is registered in FL where there is no smog testing.

FordFanStan

Established Member
CHUXSVT said:
is that legall.

It would be if you lived in that state. You must register the vehicle in the state that you live, (hence where youll be driving it). If you get caught I believe its a big fine the first time. Maybe Stewart wants to add something here??

BAMM BAMM

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
If you are caught in Cali., it's a hefty fine. I'm CHP and we're trained to ask the "questions" to get people who register out of state. I think it's in the neighborhood of $500 for a first offense.

Users who are viewing this thread