Failed Tech Inspection

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
So, getting ready for HPDE on the 14th but failed tech. The front right tire moved back and forth a bit as they shook it so they stated it was due to the inner tie rod being loose.

I suspect the 15yr old part combined with multiple track days, intermediate tires, and grippier brakes contributed to the issue.

Getting to the point, is there an upgraded part or is OEM sufficient?

I suspect it would be wise to replace both sides?

Are there any other parts I should replace at the same time?

thanks guys

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
You didn't check the car beforehand? I'd be pissed if I payed the entry fee only to find out I couldn't run.

Anyways. Replace both sides. If the outers are factory, replace those too.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
event is upcoming. Tech inspection is free. And no, I didn't lift the car off the ground and shake the wheels.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Not to get too preachy, but you need to better inspect your car before putting it on a track. When is the last time you bled your brakes? How about checking your brake pads? Always check the wheel bearing/ball joint/tie rod for play when you have the car jacked up to check the breaks before an event.... On real race cars we check all of that every time before the car goes on track for a single practice, let alone a whole weekend.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
brakes bled, front pads replaced last event, rears this week.

I used the NASA Inspection form as a guide. The only portion I didn't do was the wheel bearing/steering play portion because I don't know what to look for (they checked off the wheel bearings as good).

So with that being said, is OEM the way to go for replacement parts?

anything other than the inner & outer tie rod ends

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
OEM pieces will work great. You just need to check them on a somewhat regular basis to catch things before they get too bad.

To check wheel bearing/tie rod/ball joints:

Once you have the car up on jack stands check them BEFORE pulling the wheel/tire off for checking the brakes. Start by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire. Push with one hand and pull with the other, alternating back and forth feeling for any loose-ness while rocking back and forth top to bottom. Then grab on the left and right side of the tire and perform the same procedure feeling again for loose-ness. Finally do a last check with your hands at 45deg (half way between your vertical and horizontal checks).

If you do feel loose-ness any where in this testing look to see where things are moving. The horizontal check is the most difficult because it can sometimes be hard to tell if you have something loose or if it is just the rack moving in and out. If you do find something to be amiss I suggest having someone else who has more experience help you diagnose what is really wrong. Probably a good idea to have them with you the first time you do it to show you how to do everything properly anyways. It is not difficult to do yourself though and I'd suggest that if you plan to track the car with any frequency that you take the time to learn to do this simple check yourself. I'm sure there will be plenty of people at the track with the knowledge who would be willing to teach you how to do it properly, if nothing else, ask one of the tech guys to show you.

David Hester

Established Member
With the wheel off the ground, you can feel the clunk of worn parts. On the ground, you can still feel tie-rod/bearing. If there is any movement when you push/pull at 3 and 9 o'clock, you need to jack up and see what is going on. While you are under there, check your steering rack bolts, and for any leaking from the rack billows, too.;-)

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
As a related question..

I've heard that its also a good idea to check it again with the suspension compressed as if it was on the ground. Like putting a jack stand under the control arm. As a way of finding loose-ness in the ball joints that having it uncompressed might hide.

Sound reasonable or bs?

Users who are viewing this thread