Failure points of the 2005-2010 3v

05Sonicblue

Established Member
Looking to have a motor built for my 2005 GT. Very curious as to what are the known failure points. In other words where should I put my money into? Car is part time fun car and will be supercharged. Looking to start off close to 500hp with some wiggle room.

JeremyH

Established Member
Weak areas, stock oil pump gears and rods.

A budget build up would be stock crank, some h beam rods and forged aluminum pistons. Throw in some tss oil pump gears and your set for 600-700hp. Some stiffer valve springs is a good idea as well.

I make the numbers in my sig with similar motor build.

05Sonicblue

Established Member
Thanks, I'm looking at mmr as a baseline. They offer many options and I'm not sure if there is an actual NEED for some of the options. And yes this is a budget build. If anyone has any other options you can certainly inbox me.

Mustangtcs

Established Member
You can get a set of boss rods under $200 and they will hold the same as the stock crank. Then get some forged pistons and upgrade the oil pump gears and you'll be good to about 600rwhp. Otherwise do a complete forged rotating assembly and upgrade the oil pump gears. But with this said you need to talk to the machine shop doing the work and tell them your ideas and see what they say. Whoever is building it should guarantee their work if you use components they recommend or agree on.

Last edited:

BlackWidowStang

Established Member
Pistons and rods are the weak point. Above is some good advice. I am personally using the Boss rods as well. They are stout and can hold some power. The Boss rods can hold more than 600. I'd stretch them to 700-750 but nothing after that.

Users who are viewing this thread