Failure to inspect

Triisomy21

Established Member
Ok, so I was driving my car tonight, trying to burn off some of the old gas that was in the tank over the winter.

I had just taken it out last friday (4/27). I registered it yesterday but it was supposed to be registered and inspected in February. Since it was in storage I didn't bother, seeing as how it wasn't being driven.

I was pulled over tonight and the lady wasn't very pleasant. I knew right away it was about my inspection stickers. Before she said anything really I told her I had just taken it out of storage last week, registered it yesterday and have an appointment to have it inspected tomorrow. She looked at the 2 on my windshield sticker and said it wasn't an excuse.

She gave me a summons to show up at the police department within two days to show that it had been inspected. Otherwise, it would be a $60 fine.

Now here's my question. Can she give me a ticket? Under normal circumstances I know you have 10 days from registration to have it inspected. Which of course I am.

Does anyone else go through this when taking a vehicle out of storage?

I'm in NH by the way, and the law is RSA 266:5. I followed the link at the top of the forum in the sticky section but couldn't make sence of it.

Was she right to give me a ticket?

venmos1

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Yes, she was in the right and you are in the wrong!

how so? i thought you have 10 days from date of registration. and wouldnt this date be on your registration (then add 10 days)?

TH3N0TH1NG

Banned
266:5 Penalty for Failing to Obey Inspection Requirements. –
The driver or owner of any motor vehicle failing to comply with the requirements of the director relative to inspection shall be guilty of a violation, and the director may refuse to register, or may suspend or revoke the registration of, any motor vehicle, trailer or semi-trailer which has not been inspected as required or which is unsafe or unfit to be driven; provided, however, no person shall be charged with a violation of this section until a period of 10 days has elapsed from the date the inspection was due. This section shall not apply to those vehicles required to be inspected under the provisions of RSA 266:1, IV. The fine for a violation of this section shall be $43.30.

I'm guessing his inspection tags were over 10 days expired...:shrug:

Last edited:

TH3N0TH1NG

Banned
266:1 Inspection Authorized. –
IV. Notwithstanding paragraphs II and III, newly registered vehicles, other than vehicles transferred to a licensed dealer, OHRVs, snowmobiles, and mopeds, and vehicles, other than vehicles transferred to a licensed dealer, OHRVs, snowmobiles, and mopeds, the ownership of which has been transferred, shall be inspected not later than 10 days after the registration or transfer of ownership of said vehicle. However, if a new vehicle is purchased at retail from a licensed dealer, as defined in RSA 259:18, the vehicle shall be inspected not later than 30 days after the date of transfer. A used vehicle for which a dealer has issued a 20-day plate pursuant to RSA 261:109 shall be inspected by the dealer or an authorized inspection station on behalf of the dealer at the time of the attachment of the plate. All other expired motor vehicle inspections shall be subject to the 10-day grace period in RSA 266:5.

Triisomy21

Established Member
Well she said she'll take back the ticket if I show her proof of inspection so that's just what I'll do. I'll ask her about the whole ten day thing.

*removed by moderator - read the rules before flaming L.E.O.s again*

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
venmos1 said:
how so? i thought you have 10 days from date of registration. and wouldnt this date be on your registration (then add 10 days)?

It is ten days from the date the vehicle was required to be registered, not from the date the driver got around to it.

venmos1

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
It is ten days from the date the vehicle was required to be registered, not from the date the driver got around to it.

thanks for the info. i always thought it was 10 from date of registration. learn something everyday. i do know enough not to go driving around without inspection. driving to inspection station would be the only driving until it is inspected.

Triisomy21

Established Member
Yea, next year I have to file for a liscence to operate an uninspected vehicle. I'll only be able to drive it to get it inspected but it'll prevent this from happening again.

Anyway, I talked to a much nicer officer today and she turned it into a warning. Thanks for the replies!

Users who are viewing this thread