Fair fight with a camaro, but srill definitely killed

Welfare

Established Member
Fair fight with a camaro, but still definitely killed

Found out a guy I'm in the military with picked up an '01 camaro. He was talking up his car a lot so I lined up my 08 GT500 with his and went at it. His mods are everything with the SLP package I believe it was called and headers. My mods: 2.6 pulley, CAI, cat back exhaust, BAMA tune. We lined up on a straight stretch of road and I was paying too much attention to traffic and honked it off going about 30-35 and accidentally started in second. Cars were evenly matched for a bit, but as soon as I was finishing up third gear it was nothing but dust.

The second race. Tires were a bit warmed up now and slowed to 20 and honked it off. First through second cars to my surprise were fairly equal, but as soon as I hit third it was tail lights and memories. I kept it going until I had about 4-5 lengths on him just for personal reasons. Props after the race he was more impressed in my car and very interested in learning the difference between a GT500 and a 5.0:nono:

Last edited:

Welfare

Established Member
It was about 68 outside at the time, and I'm only using a Bama tune for the time being. I'll post pics of mine later, and see about getting one of his.

AMAlexLazarus

AmericanMuscle.com
Found out a guy I'm in the military with picked up an '01 camaro. He was talking up his car a lot so I lined up my 08 GT500 with his and went at it. His mods are everything with the SLP package I believe it was called and headers. My mods: 2.6 pulley, CAI, cat back exhaust, BAMA tune. We lined up on a straight stretch of road and I was paying too much attention to traffic and honked it off going about 30-35 and accidentally started in second. Cars were evenly matched for a bit, but as soon as I was finishing up third gear it was nothing but dust.

The second race. Tires were a bit warmed up now and slowed to 20 and honked it off. First through second cars to my surprise were fairly equal, but as soon as I hit third it was tail lights and memories. I kept it going until I had about 4-5 lengths on him just for personal reasons. Props after the race he was more impressed in my car and very interested in learning the difference between a GT500 and a 5.0:nono:

Welfare - As luck would have it you just hit 50 posts and you're now eligible for our SVTPerformance Forums Discount code...Wait....What?

I demand a re-race and I'd love to see this on camera (On a closed course in Mexico of course) but I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around this one. An 01' Camaro with a few bolt on mods in its day would throw down what, 3-320 depending on the dyno? Stock 07/08 500's with the exception of a factory freak would yield at least 100hp more than the SS. While the Camaro is down a few hundred pounds (Feel free to destroy me on the weight here guys) this shouldn't be this close any way you slice it, it should've been lengths on lengths!

I'd love to see a 3rd gear pull on this.

Alex

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Only on SVT is this a fair fight. While you didwin, you should have demolished him.

Welfare

Established Member
I plan on lining them up sometime this weekend, I'll keep you posted on the new results. Hopefully I won't have a passenger this time, or will get one to take a vid. Definitely won't do any pre-pulls before the race this time either.

Voltwings

Established Member
Only thing i can think is dude had one hell of a rear gear to keep up off the line. The GT500s do have a shit load of gear.

Rios302

Established Member
It seems about right for the first gear or two. It appears as if that camaro had really short gears and was making descent power out of full bolt ons. I am thinking around 350 whp. That's enough to keep up a gear or two specially given the wait difference and what I am thinking are long gears in the GT500. Probably a mid 12 second car.

Users who are viewing this thread