fake catalytic converter

realitygt

Established Member
I'm wanting the heatshields to go around a 2.5" mipdpipe, so it will look like I have cats. so far the only place I've found that has them is Catalytic Converter but is there anyone that is cheaper than that?

tell me what you guys have found

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
do not understand the point... you pass visual, but fail sniffer... it's like throwing cobra emblems and a body kit on a v6. :lol:

realitygt

Established Member
do not understand the point... you pass visual, but fail sniffer... it's like throwing cobra emblems and a body kit on a v6. :lol:

because not all cars need cats to pass the obd2 check. This is on my 98 gt, and I haven't thrown a CEL in months for having no cats, and I have run the diagnostics before since my friend works at an inspection place and it passes emissions as it is, but I can't pass the visual safety since I have no cats.

besides that I have MIL eliminators sitting on my desk that work also lol

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
like said above obd2 thye dont put you on the sniffer they just plug you in. Visual is what becomes the issue because they hear it and its much louder than stock, i have thogut abuot doing this but never knew someone made just the shells

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
i took my stock h pipe cut the cats off then cut them in the middle like a sandwich hollowed everything out drilled four holes at each corner and slid bolts thru them and tightened down with nuts for the inspection...its a long drawn out process but i have rented them to friends for 25 a lot so it was well worth the effort

realitygt

Established Member
i took my stock h pipe cut the cats off then cut them in the middle like a sandwich hollowed everything out drilled four holes at each corner and slid bolts thru them and tightened down with nuts for the inspection...its a long drawn out process but i have rented them to friends for 25 a lot so it was well worth the effort

I'd definitely be interested in some pictures of that!, I have my stock H pipe, that can be hacked up.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member

I find that part funny, Good idea though..

Erick

Established Member
This is exactly what I was planning on. Just go to a local exhaust shop. They should have some bad/old cats lying around. A shop told me they would have no problem doing it for me.

I never had problems with getting tested until last year when the got firm on doing the visual inspection. I have to admit it was kinda funny watching him struggle to spot the h-pipe when the car is so damn low and the sub-frame connectors block most of the view.

Toasty

Established Member
because not all cars need cats to pass the obd2 check. This is on my 98 gt, and I haven't thrown a CEL in months for having no cats, and I have run the diagnostics before since my friend works at an inspection place and it passes emissions as it is, but I can't pass the visual safety since I have no cats.

besides that I have MIL eliminators sitting on my desk that work also lol

Why are you posting questions about your 98GT in a SN-95 Cobra forum?

mcaligiuri

Established Member
i found some heat shields for a cat at my shop from a acura tl. took them and bolted them around my pipe. looks great

uofipilot

Established Member
why do you care?... is my gt not good enough to post on your cobra forum?

No, it isnt.

I kid I kid. Simple solution....you said you still have the stock pipe. Take an hour, swap it, go get it tested, come home, and swap back. Probably a lot easier that the other options mentioned.

realitygt

Established Member
No, it isnt.

I kid I kid. Simple solution....you said you still have the stock pipe. Take an hour, swap it, go get it tested, come home, and swap back. Probably a lot easier that the other options mentioned.

that would be convenient if it bolted up to longtubes :D

Sil80sx

Established Member
These are the ones I have, they came off my stock hpipe (I bought the car not knowing it had fake cats, I cut them off in hopes to selling 'real' cats to a scrap yard) they measure 2-1/4"

hollowcats.jpg

hollowcats2.jpg

hollowcat3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread