false knocking on 3 and 4 gear

bob450

Established Member
hi i need help is it possible to have false knocking at only high speed i have tire a bit unbalance shaking a little bit can it be felt by knock sensors via alum driveshaft.. my timing back (add 5.47) near 81 and 106 mph
thank 21650406581_a65be67575_z.jpg

Last edited:

evil281

Established Member
Have you looked over your exhaust to make sure it's not contacting anything? I remember another post where it was simply an exhaust clamp tapping the body under acceleration giving false knock. If you think it's from an unbalanced tire then get that fixed. That should be a very easy fix and then test again.

evil281

Established Member
False knock as in pulling timing and slowing the car down?

The knock sensors can pick up vibrations from other things on the car like exhaust contacting metal for example. The sensor thinks there is knock and pulls timing.

In this example the engine may have had zero knock but timing was still pulled. In other words "false knock"

If you are getting knock on say 91 octane and want to know if its bad gas or false knock you can run 100 octane and data log. If the knock is gone then it was bad 91 gas. If you still have knock then it may be something else getting picked up by the sensor.

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
Buddy of mine was getting knock in only 4th gear. So narrowed it down to a mph issue, turned out to be one of the front tires wasn't balanced correctly. So OP is only getting knock at higher speeds, it's most likely a balance issue in a tire. If it was gas it wouldn't only happens at higher speeds. Most likely same with exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread